Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bilstein 5100 14" travel shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 19, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Bilstein 5100 14\" travel shocks?

Anyone ever had experience with these? Bilsteins site says 255/70 valving on them. I don't really know what that means though /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. As I understand that would be about where I want my shocks for my Daily driver/ weekend crawler K5 right? I was planning Rancho 99012s but these are $78ea at www.truckperformance.com and 14" travel. Not sure my 4" BDS springs will use all that, though I plan to go to 6" springs in the future with 57" rear setup.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Re: Bilstein 5100 14\" travel shocks?

Your going to want to match your valving to your spring rate. A rear lift spring would run a different valving than the 57's for optimim effectiveness. Same with the 4" to 6" swap up front. Most people I know running the 57's run 14" travel shocks in the rear and dual 12" shocks up front when running a 4-6" lift.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Guess Rancho 9000s would be a better option since I can change settings.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Guess Rancho 9000s would be a better option since I can change settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you don't plan on bouncing at speed.

The Bilsteins are mono-tube and don't fade as fast as the Ranchos.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Well, not really. You can change the overall dampening setting on a Rancho but the shock remains with a 50/50 valving. Even with the valving off, the Bilstein will give you better control since the stored energy of a bump is controlled to a much higher degree (almost 5 times more). For the front of a Blazer, 255(rebound)/70(compression) sounds reasonable. I would run 150(rebound)/90(compression) on the rear 57's. I am still running Rancho RS9000's in the back and just cant get the control out of them that everyone else is with Fox and Bilsteins. Bang for the buck, get the Bilsteins for the same price as the 9000's and you'll be 5 times happier!

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thanks man sounds like a plan. I will look for rear shocks. I'm runnign 4" BDS springs and no sway bar, so a little more control is greatly appreciated. I haven't driven the rig yet and sinces its a case by case, person by person thing with the sway I'm gonna try it without the sway bar. It body rolled like crazy before thanks to broken sway bar mounts, bad bushings, and bad shocks.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Also I plan on running factory rear springs with shackle flip for now. What would you guys say for that setup? I don't plan on 57s for months yet so getting new shocks then most likely won't be a problem.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

A 200/80 on the rear may work well with all the weight on it, less if you run topless and stripped.

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I had Rancho RS5000s on my blazer for 4 1/2 years and I just got a set of 14" Bilstein 5100s this summer. The Ranchos are crap compared to these, the quality of the shocks is so much better and the ride is a night and day difference. I'm sold /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif