Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bilstein 5150?? And best place to buy??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masher, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Anyone running the new bilstein 5150 shocks?? Heard good or bad about them?? Also where is the best place to buy Bilsteins?? I know of Eshocks.com but is there anywhere else?

2. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

5150's are $99.50 regardless of length at my work ( www.offroadwarehouse.com ) and are exactly the same as a 5100 but with the added oil capacity from the reservoir which makes them more resistant to fading /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. IMO they are the best you can get without going to a rebuildable shock.... except the top mount is questionable to me /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, it has a threaded in stud with the mounting eye at the end which allows you to rotate the reservoir whichever direction you want and then you just use the jamb nut to tighten it down.

4. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif SO are the 5100's a decent shock or should I spend the money and get the remote resv. 7100's /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

For the 5100s, you are gonna spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-70 bucks. You can get a 7100 w/o res for about 150, and one w/res for just under 180 at eshocks.

6. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Are the 5100 or 5150 application-specific, or do you have to figure out on your own what valving works best? I've been looking, but I haven't had any luck finding (any) Bilsteins for a lifted K5 - if you have any info, I'd appreciate it!

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have the 5100s and I am very pleased with them so far. I looked at the 5150s but the resivior just doesnt look big enough to make a difference. FYI the sleeves are metric, so the shock bolts you have now will not work

8. Blazinaire

You have 3'' of lift right? Well what I do for a 4'' lift is no more than 8'' travel in a stock front mount and 12'' in the stock rear mount (although the 12'' is o so slightly too long so I would definately say no more than 10'' in the stock rear mount for less than 4'' lift) Bilstein doesn't make ANY shocks for lifted SFA chevy's so we can only go by length/travel and see what fits /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. None of the 5150's are vehicle specific so I'm not sure if they have the same warranty /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As for valving what I would RECOMMEND (obviously I couldn't say for sure which valving is exactly right for anyone because I don't know how you use your vehicle or how firm of a shock you are comfortable with) is 275/78 or 255/70 for daily driving/slower wheeling. If you wanna go fast, you'll wanna step up in the valving (but at some point you'll have to either add another shock or get a bigger one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif)

9. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Yup, 3". I like a shock with good rebound control, even if it's on the stiff side, and I think the Bilsteins for the stock suspension height worked really well on the street and in Moab last year. I still haven't gotten around to flexing the truck w/o shocks so I can measure distances between mounts. Thanks for the advice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Blazinaire

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the Bilsteins for the stock suspension height worked really well on the street and in Moab last year.

[/ QUOTE ] I'd say they did! IIRC you passed me on golden spike /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif!!!