Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bilstein 5150 shocks. Anyone running them ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] They look intresting, just wanted to hear from anyone running them if they live up to the hype or not.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thanks for the link. What do you think, would those shocks be any good on a daily driver ???

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I was looking at those shocks also. I called and talk to them. They said they will work great for D/D and offraod of any type. The only problem I have is there price. WOW there pricey. That $100 is just for the shock, that does not include there mounting stuff.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was looking at those shocks also. I called and talk to them. They said they will work great for D/D and offraod of any type. The only problem I have is there price. WOW there pricey. That $100 is just for the shock, that does not include there mounting stuff.

[/ QUOTE ] Did you get the price for everything ??? I'm kinda intrested, but not if it's outragous.

6. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I think it was like $500+ I cant find my paper. Give them a call and ask ok. That price is for the 14" travel ones also.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

From all the info I have read, the 5150 is just a 5100 with a resevoir. There is no real need for a D/D to have a res. unless your out in the whoops running at speed.

As for mounting hardware, you can see that the shock eyes are of the basic bushing type. Not sure of the size, but if you reused your old hardware, or went down to your favorite 4x4 shop, they might have some new hardware they are willing to give up for ya. 4WPW gave me some bolts when I went in to get some, no charge /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

My thoughts on the matter, get a set of 4 from Orielly's that are 13" travel for $105 with Tax! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you blow them up, they have a liftime warrenty and if you bend one in half, they're $24.99 to replace!!!!!! You'd have to go through 5 sets of those to make up what you're spending on shocks for one... Yeah they're rebuildable, but what if you bend a shock or something, Those parts have to be OUTRAGIOUS! It's also a DD, so why put the money there! Put is on something more useful! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My thoughts on the matter, get a set of 4 from Orielly's that are 13" travel for $105 with Tax! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you blow them up, they have a liftime warrenty and if you bend one in half, they're $24.99 to replace!!!!!! You'd have to go through 5 sets of those to make up what you're spending on shocks for one... Yeah they're rebuildable, but what if you bend a shock or something, Those parts have to be OUTRAGIOUS! It's also a DD, so why put the money there! Put is on something more useful! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Good point. I doubt I'd ever spend the money for 5150's but it's been a good convo.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah they're rebuildable, but what if you bend a shock or something, Those parts have to be OUTRAGIOUS! It's also a DD, so why put the money there! Put is on something more useful!

[/ QUOTE ]

The 5100/5150's ain't rebuildable. You have to jump up to the 6100 series. Then if I recall correctly, the 6100 has to be sent back to be rebuild, but the 7100 and 9100 are owner rebuildable.

The parts are not that outrageous. It just goes back to what one really needs for the rig for it to perform like they want instead of focusing on the worthless bling.

11. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Agreed Bubba! I like my shinny yellow Monroes! They make Rancho's If I remember correctly! So they can't be TOTAL crap! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Agreed Bubba! I like my shinny yellow Monroes! They make Rancho's If I remember correctly! So they can't be TOTAL crap! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. That's why I got talked into some fancy $300 per shock last race I was at. Hopefully one day I'll be able to drop the $$$$ to buy them. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I dont have the 5150s but I have the 5100s in 14" travel and I have been nothing but happy with them! Well worth the extra money IMO! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif