Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bilstein 5150's installed finally! pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stretch67, Aug 24, 2004.

1. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

bilstein 5150\'s installed finally! pics

5150's are mounted finally! i did the rear upper shock crossmember, and a local 4x4 shop did the rear axle and front mounts-hoops. no offroad time yet but onroad difference is noticeable here are a few webshots links! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif http://community.webshots.com/s/image11/9/47/66/179294766GCXzyX_ph.jpg http://community.webshots.com/s/image7/9/53/79/179295379lZlBQZ_ph.jpg http://community.webshots.com/s/image11/9/40/96/179294096vqbmKD_ph.jpg

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: bilstein 5150\'s installed finally! pics

links don't work, try linking to your gallery

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I like those shock. Nice work.

4. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

very nice. want those shocks /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif wow is your axle drooping? looks like you need longer brake lines if not.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Damn, those are some long shocks. Looks like I better put off the shock inboarding until I have those in my hands. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

truck is on flat ground! those are 4- 6" lift extended brake lines. 35's sometimes rubbed with 4" lift, so i went 6" TC lift with zero rates so shocks were short, new drivelines too short, brakelines, etc thats even with the bigblock! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're driving it on the road you might as well order the 12" lift brake hoses right now.

9. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

any brakelines recommended? rubber or stainless are ok ,sounds like both work fine. although i did break an end of a stainless line on my camaro once!

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're out of the realm of rubber. For road use I'd suggest the longest DOT approved stainless braided you can find.

Off road only...well, I'll have the pics of what I'm hooking another member up with (and using on my own rig) in about a week.

11. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    You're out of the realm of rubber. For road use I'd suggest the longest DOT approved stainless braided you can find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, I've got +12 and +15 one piece rubber lines on my truggy. As long as the materials are sufficiently high grade and supported there should not be a problem. I prefer rubber over stainless after seeing the effects of abrasion, particularly in the desert. I had my rubber lines made by a local guy who does all sorts of custom high pressure lines, including stuff for the trophy/pre-runner crowd. These were custom made with supporting steel hard lines on the banjo fittings (helps keep them in place and out of the shock/tire/suspension), 2 front and 1 rear, with hanger grommets and spring raps, all for under $100…

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I already had bought stainless extended brake lines. When I relifted the truck and put 52" springs up front, I wenty to a local hydraulic shop and had the just relace the teflon/stainless hose's and reude my ends. cost me 40.00 for both 32" long.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, I've got +12 and +15 one piece rubber lines on my truggy. As long as the materials are sufficiently high grade and supported there should not be a problem. I prefer rubber over stainless after seeing the effects of abrasion, particularly in the desert. I had my rubber lines made by a local guy who does all sorts of custom high pressure lines, including stuff for the trophy/pre-runner crowd. These were custom made with supporting steel hard lines on the banjo fittings (helps keep them in place and out of the shock/tire/suspension), 2 front and 1 rear, with hanger grommets and spring raps, all for under $100…

[/ QUOTE ]

What I really meant is off the shelf rubber lines, such as the lines that we usually suggest to people that just want a slightly longer than stock one.

My custom lines are going to be 40" long for the front, which is probably +15 or so, and made from teflon hose. They're going to be pretty trick, I think you guys will get a kick out of them.

I'm even considering running them from the calpers in the rear all the way to the junction block on the brake hose. These teflon hoses are going to rock, just wait until I get htem and I'll snap some pics.

15. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

is there any easy way to figure out correct brake hose length? do i let axles hang free then measure ?if so then how much extra inn addition to that thanks /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

16. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Sweet! let us know how you like them. What shocks did you run before.
    Also, on the front, any reason you chose the hoop rather than the Ford mounts?
    Also, how much did those run ya? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i got mine for 90 bucks each at shock wharehouse.com, ill post pics when i get home, i have to download them form my camera

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

That would be the best way to do it probably but articulate the axle rather than just droop it. Got a buddy with a forklift?

19. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i was running procomps es-9000's, they felt much stiffer! the bilsteins are the heaviest valving but just the 20 miles i drove it yesterday they felt much smoother. i wanted to run a f**d mount or fabricate one, but the guy i had do them thought hoops would work better. no wheelwell cutting,multiple shocks if i want not that i need them! the fronts cost $250 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gifiknow alot, but it's done and i can wheel it! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

20. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

i run a forklift every day! maybe i can get someone to distract my boss for a few minutes /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif surpip that's where i got mine from, they rock! i think shipping was $17 for all 4 shocks. and only 3 days to get here! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif