Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bilstein 5150s vs. Rancho RS9000's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MudFlap, Nov 17, 2003.

1. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Bilstein 5150s vs. Rancho RS9000\'s

From what I have heard the Bilsteins will definetly do better off-road, but what about on the street, because the K5 will probably see more time on the road than it will on the trails.

Also can someone give me some kind of idea on the valving that I should use for the Bilsteins? The front springs are 6" TC (465lb/in) and the rear will be 6" BDS springs with some leafs removed to make it about a 3" spring.

Thanks

Trey

2. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Re: Bilstein 5150s vs. Rancho RS9000\'s

Also are there anything wrong with running a longer shock than what is needed if I have the room to mount them?

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as long as you aren't bottoming the shock out there is nothing wrong with it. I will probably run 14" travel 5150 Bilsteins in the back of my K5 but its just a stock leaf pack with ORD flip. I plan to get much more extreme with the rear where the 14" travels will be really used.

4. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

That was what I figured, but just making sure.

5. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I recently replaced my rancho rs9000s with some Bilstein 5100s. It rides much better on and off road especially in the high speed bumps. My Ranchos had less than 1000 miles on them so I'm sure they weren't worn out. I was able to fit 14" travel on the front and the rear. On the front I used some f250 shock towers. On the rear they bolted right up. I was very impressed with the quality of these shocks and I would recommend them to anyone looking to replace their shocks. With 14" of travel, my suspension can flex freely without being limited by the shocks. The only drawback is the price; about $100 each depending on where you get them from. The Ranchos I was wunning were for a 73-87 with 4" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif