Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bilstein 7100 Reservior Shocks.... outer shock body is what material???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

They look to be stainless, but before I ruin them by trying to clean off oxidation and crud with the wrong thing, I figured I'll ask....

If they are stainless (they appear to be an unfinished metal of some sort with a slight "grain" machined or polished into them circumferentially) what material can I use? Some kind of ScotchBrite pad, 1500-grit wetsand paper, steel wool???

:dunno:

I got a set used for a good price, but they just look a little "skanky" so I'd like to make them more presentable before bolting them in.

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Fairly sure they arent stainless. I believe they are just plain ole steel with a nickel coat, machine finish, and some clear.

Bilstein West: 1-858-386-5900

Call them and ask them, hell they made them.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

It's sounding like a "run of the mill" Chrome polish might be all it needs.... ???

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Go to a local truck stop or parts place and look for some stuff call "Magic Mix". It has a rabbit on a clear bottle(will look white since the stuff inside is white)..

It is ok to use on any metal and painted surfaces(they say test it in a small area first), but it has worked great for me on everything I have used it on. Plus it does great polishing with little work... They also sell a metal cleaner in the same type bottle but it is pink fluid.

This stuff works great for polishing aluminum!