Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bilstein shock question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unick, Oct 28, 2003.

1. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Im thinking about putting bilstein 5150 or 6100 series shocks on my K5. I want the 14" travel ones. These shocks are 20.3" compressed. Would they fit on my truck with a 6" lift or would I have to relocate the shock mount?
    Also what vaulving should I get? I know its soposed to be different between the front and rear.

thanx
    Nick

lmk

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Im thinking about putting bilstein 5150 or 6100 series shocks on my K5. I want the 14" travel ones. These shocks are 20.3" compressed. Would they fit on my truck with a 6" lift or would I have to relocate the shock mount?
    Also what vaulving should I get? I know its soposed to be different between the front and rear.

thanx
    Nick

lmk

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice member title /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Cycle the suspension real quick like and you can get an idea of what shock you need. And maybe this valving will get you close 275/78.

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

4. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

come on guys i really need this info.

thanx
    Nick

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

basically go with what bubba said...you will need to measure your suspension at rest and at full droop and full compression...make sure those distances are going to work

Later

6. Here's how to determine your valving . You'll need to know your what your spring rate is for this.
    My Blazer is at stock height right now. The shock length for the rear is 20 inches and the front measures 18. Add your lift amount to those numbers. To me it sounds like the shocks you're looking at will work for the rear, but the front may bottom out (it will only compress about 4 inches).

7. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I dont have the equipment to cycle the suspension here. Only place I could go would be the autohobby shop on base and im pretty sure they wont let me do cycle it there.

well here r the specs for the shocks

trav description valveing ext length col length
    14.53 5150 Crossflow 170/60 34.90 20.37
    14.53 5150 Crossflow 255/70 34.90 20.37

If you r running these stock they should fit on my truck with 6" of lift right?

lmk
    Nick

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

also im gonna have superlift or skyjacker front springs and whichever rear springs come with the ak57 sus

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm going with Bilstein 5100 12" travel front shocks and Bilstein 5150 14" travels in the back. Whats your rear suspension setup? if its just a stock spring with shackle flip setup you won't really need 14" travel. I won't be buying shocks till after the K5 is pretty well done and hits a ramp to check measurements. I'm planning 255/70 in the front and 170/60 in the back but I'm running BDS front springs which are a little softer than Skyjacker and definetally softer thatn Superlift. Superlift vs Skyjacker is a big jump. You really need to listen to the advice here, this stuff is a case by case basis, places that sell the shocks try and make it seem too universal.

10. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

im gonna be using the AK57 rear suspension thats why I need the long travel shocks.

Nick

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

talk to marv, he was giving me advice about what I should run shockwise. I think his recomendation was something like 150/60 valving with 57" ford springs and 14" travel would work out with the springer.

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

alright then thanx for the info