Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bilstein shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by onlychevy6, Jul 10, 2003.

1. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i am interested in using the bilstein shocks in my 78 blazer. the problem i have come across is this. after speaking to bilstein direct they do not make a factory type shock for lifted trucks only stock height. so i was told i need to get the fully colapsed and extended length of the shock i need and i woould be able to use there 5100 series shocks. does any have any idea what the lengths should be or have done this before? i have a 6 inch superlift suspention on 35" tires and i DO NOT have a body lift.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

You need a ramp and a tape measure...

Remove existing shocks, then max out your suspension's stuff and droop and take the measurements at the shock mounts. You don't want to "top out" or "bottom out", and a couple of inches of margin would be nice on both conditions....

Marv

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Thanks for asking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was just getting ready to post the same question for a 4 inch lift
    I'll just bum a ride from you /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

thanks marv for you response. now as far as a ramp is concerned what type of ramp do i need? or should i try to contact a local off road club? Such as So Cal Big Dawgs. they are a local off raod club here in southern calif.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The So-Cal Dawgs have a ramp that they might be willing to pull out for you to use. Some off road shops have ramps too. </font>

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I've got 4" Skyjacker springs F and R on my '87K5. Bilstein has shocks for a 4" lift. Part numbers are:
    rear F4-BE5-6248-HO
    front F4-BE5-6253-HO

Rear is good but front was too bouncy for me. So I added
    one RS5000 shock to each Bilstein in the front.