Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bilsteins.

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, May 13, 2003.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I like. my 88 454 tow rig still had the factory shocks. I was getting sea sick. Stepped up the the Bilsteins and WOW what a difference. Handles so much better, rides better, seems to have got rid of a vibe I thought was an out of ballance tire. I guess it was a bouncing tire. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Took a lot of nose dive out of it when braking into a turn. It was worth the price.

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Which series did you go with? 5100 series or stock OE replacements? Needing some for my tow rig. Where did you pick them up at?

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Autozone. Stock replacements. Special order but they had them in 3 days. $56 each. Box that they come in says "Sportwagon" on it LOL.

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, I've heard that autozone is the best place to get them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Are they available in extended length for lifted trucks? I haven't been able to find them locally, and most phone order people don't know what they're doing, so I can't get a straight answer.

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Yes, in the 5100 series. Go to this website to get your application and price. They offer different series of shocks depending on what you use your truck for. The 5100 series is the mildest for lifted trucks.

7. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Are they available in extended length for lifted trucks? I haven't been able to find them locally, and most phone order people don't know what they're doing, so I can't get a straight answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    When I bought shocks for the 75 I got the truck flexed out an measured center of mount to center of mount. Took that info up to Autozone and he pulled out a chart that had the spec. Ordered them but taking one inch off the compressed length so that if I stuffed I would bottom them out. Worked out great. Now that was on Gabrials but I'm sure they can get the same info for the Bilstein's.

8. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

FYI: 14'' travel 5100's are $74.99 valved 255/70 35'' ext. 21'' col. available at www.offroadwarehouse.com /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif