Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

binding after a 4" lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thegreatwhiteheap, Dec 19, 2005.

1. thegreatwhiteheap

thegreatwhiteheap Registered Member

i recently bought a 74 blazer with a 4" lift and 33s. im want ot go back to stock height. i know that sometimes there are problems with binding and drive shafts when lifts are put in (but not always) and sometimes shims are needed to correct shaft angles. im pretty inexperienced with suspensions and because i bought it with this lift kit already in it i have nothing to compare it against, so, i was hoping maybe someone had a before and after pic of what any parts that would need shimms would look like so i could see if my truck has any taht need to be removed so as to not run into problems when bringing it back down. also, is there any way to tell if the drive shaft has been lenghthened? and lastly, will i run into clearence issues with the same 33s on at stock height? or do i jsut have to wait and see?
    thanks for any help!!

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well one simple trick you can do as you begin to "unlift" your truck is to get a Sharpie and mark the slipjoint where it enters the yoke....then measure out about 1" and mark that spot (with a 1" notation), go out another inch and mark it (2").

Depending on what the existing setup is...your driveshaft might get shorter or longer. Making a few reference marks will allow you to see which direction (and to what extent) the driveshaft length has changed.

After that, you might want to take the driveshaft out and measure how much total slip it has...and figure out if you've got a useable amount or if it's nearly "bottomed out" or "topped out".

Unfortunately, it's pretty tough to calculate ahead of time where your driveshaft lengths are going to end up. Most of the time, you just have to make the suspension changes you want, and then measure the distance (yoke to yoke) that you end up with and go from there.... :confused:

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the driveshaft should still be the stock length for a 4" lift. How come ur taking it out?

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hey man, where in VA are you?

i dont think you will have any binding with just 4" lift. most ppl dont notice anything til at least 6".

5. echos

echos Registered Member

I have a stock hieght gmc shortbed, bring yours up to maryland and we can trade lifts.

6. thegreatwhiteheap

what about drive shaft angles though? with shims and what have you (oh and there is only a block under the rear, does that change anything?)
    muddybuddy-im in leesburg.
    echos-i already have the front springs but i need shocks and possibly rear spings and if you got aftermarket stock length ones i WILL trade you!

7. echos

echos Registered Member

answered your email, maybe we can work it out

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

alright, thats not too far out, im in fairfax

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Is this before you "slam"it?

10. thegreatwhiteheap

eventually, but id have to modifythe frame.
    for right now im jsut wanting stock height and possibly dump it later in life.

11. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i am in hamilton , right down the road from leesburg. do you need help removing it? maybe we can all get together and knock this out .

unfortunatly, i have gotten rid of all my stock parts after i lifted mine.