Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Binding knuckles on my 10 bolt - Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by paveslave, Dec 18, 2003.

1. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

I've just installed my Warn hubs but every time I either lock the hubs or drop it in 4x the knuckles start binding and force a wobble into the steering. It also does this without the hubs installed in 4x. Has this happened to anyone else and how can I fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

it is strange it only does it when you engage it into 4wd. does the wobble go away with speed, or get worse? are the balljoints and wheelbearings good? id put the front tires in the air, and see if anything is loose. or maybe pull the front cover and see if your gears or carrier are fudged. it resembles a Death Wobble, except you say it goes away when it is in 2wd.

3. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you checked the ujoints in your front axle yet, the ones in the knuckles? If they're bad, they can bind up and jerk the tires back and forth. I run a full-time case and I had a ujoint going out up front, and every time I would turn the tires would wobble back and forth.

4. paveslave

It is more pronounced when I turn. It seems as if the u-joints are pulled or pushed out of alignment with the pivot point of the ball joints when either the hubs are locked, it's in 4x or both. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. paveslave

Just went to the store and just for grins trew it into 4x for a while then locked the hubs and took it out of 4x and it is barely noticeable now. Tommorow I'm going to change the diff lube in both ends and take a look at the diffs. Mabey years of the front axle not being used might of had something to do with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif