Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Binding up in reverse, Possible cause?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74k5inVA, May 13, 2002.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

my blazer goes foward like a champ, but put it into reverse and it bounces, shakes, binds up, whatever you want to call it, it doesn't do reverse very well. my buddy tells me u-joints but wouldn't that make it hard to go foward too. anything simple like that,or am i facing a rebuild on the tranny?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Your profile doesn't say anything about your rig. Is it an auto?

The first thing I'd do is check the engine and tranny mounts. If they're wasted then stuff can move all around underneath.

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

its an sm465, as seen in the sig, don't know why my bio doesn't show anything, i keep adding the info and everybody keeps telling me there is nothing there. will try to do that again.
    I know you know but for those reading and don't know sm465 is a manual 4 speed with granny low

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I didn't even notice the sig. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I guess that I mentally tune them out as background noise. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I'd still look at the mounts first, to see if the tranny is jumping around when you back up. Another possibility is wheel hop. Have someone peek underneath (from a safe distance!) while you get the truck to do its dance. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i was thinking of wheel hop as a possibility, what is the remedy for that?

6. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Your buddy could be right. When going forward, the axle can "wrap up" raising the differential pinion and causing the u-joint angle to get smaller. In reverse the axle wrap causes the pinion to rotate down, increasing the u-joint angle and maybe causing it to bind. Soft springs or blocks make the axle wrap worse.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Could be a loose chain in the case if your still full time. Throw it in low range (not lock) on a steep hill (not lock and going forward). get rolling a couple miles per hour and floor it. If you hear a couple bangs it's the chain jumping teeth.

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You most likely have a broken motor mount as Harry said. Tranny mounts are also a possibility.

9. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

ok i will have to look at the mounts tonight, as for the chain and going up a steep hill, grim, in va beach the highest elevation is something like 23 feet above sea level and that is an old city dump that has been earthed over and turned into a park. any other way to check the chain, short of pulling it off?