Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bit of a long shot... But can anyone help me with my 87 3800's timing issues?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm trying to get an 87 Olds Delta 88 equipped with a 3.8L SFI V6 up and running.

I've got even, strong compression on all 6 cylinders, I'm getting a hot blue spark to all 6 cylinders, all the injectors are working properly and delivering fuel, and of course I've got air, but the engine still refuses to start.

As far as I can guess, the timing must either be out completely, or out of sync with the injectors.

Is there some way a guy has to set the engine to TDC, and set the base timing on it? How else could the ECM know what point on the crank is TDC?

As it stands, the car doesn't even so much as attempt to fire. I checked the fuel pressure, and have a proper 43 PSI. All 6 injectors are firing, as confirmed by cranking the engine with no plugs in, and watching fuel vapour come out. I know all 6 coils are firing, as I can see the spark on the plugs if I ground them out on the engine.

Any ideas? I've never once had an engine that has spark, fuel, air and compression, and not even attempt to fire...

Thanks!

Russ

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think your car is trying to tell you that it is 20 years old.

seriously though. there is not any adjustments you can make to the timing on those. what changed from when it ran last? track it backwards. did you change anything and now it does not run. If it has one maybe the crank position sensor is haywire. I will ask tomorrow at work( I work at a GM dealership).

3. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

I was gonna say crank sensor too

4. Russell

I just recently picked the car up in exhange for some work on a guy's van (tranny swap). All I know is that he just recently had the crank and cam sensors both swapped out, and that the problems started shortly after taking it to an exhaust shop to get the exhaust done up... Went in running well, didn't run coming out.

I already checked for pinched or destroyed wires, with no luck. I also hooked my laptop up and did some scanning, all of the sensors are returning realistic values, and there are no error codes being set. Everything seems to be working properly, except the spark timing is so far out it doesn't even sputter...

I'm going to try getting a new coil pack from an identical V6 at the junkyard, and see if a new module and coils make any difference... I know the PO tried that, but I know there are two different series of coil packs, and it is very probable he grabbed the wrong one and installed it.

5. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

maybe the exhaust shop fried something electrical while they were welding the exhaust on?????

6. Russell

That is possible too Bill... Infact, never even thought about that as a possiblity...

I'll try an ECM as well :)

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

3800 v6 motors of that vintage eat harmonec balencers . and the tone ring for the crank position are on the outer hub of the balencer. when the rubber breaks apart it spins off of spec. and crappy run or no run at all. look in bast the pass side tire and see if the rubber is totaly intact.

8. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

I have witnessed that before too