Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bittersweet Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazinNewTrails, Sep 21, 2002.

1. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

Well, due to my upcoming lay-off on 10/31 after 16 yrs I have to sell my baby... She's an all black '01 Ram QC Off Road/Sport/5.9/auto/ Dynomax 3" ultraflow/ 4.10-LS/ 33x12.50x17 ProComp M/T's. I needed to find something that would haul my 4 kids and g/f, get the job done off road, AND pull a trailer. I needed something I could cash out for around $3000. My first wheeler was my parents '75 Blazer 350/T350/3.73's. It never failed to impress me off road.
    Here's what I found, and bought...

'83 Blazer 350/ 700R4/ Edelbrock intake/ quadrajet/ Comp Cams 260H/ true duals(no cat)/ 3.73 12 bolts/ New radiator/ large tranny cooler/ New Warn hubs/ 4" Rough Country lift/ 33x12.50x15 M/T's on new chrome modulars/ Class III hitch/ Alpine AM/FM/CD.
    She's brown and white with biege interior with no rips.
    The motor has about 30,000 on it and the truck has about 160,000. The motor runs better than new and she drives/steers decent (think it needs a new stabilizer).
    She has a couple minor dings and only one rust spot on the tailgate. Straight bumpers and trim.
    It wasn't for sale until I asked if he was interested in selling it.. LOL I gave him $3500 for it and he was kinda having sellers remorse I think, but took it.

So how 'bout it Chevy guys.. How'd I do? Was the price about right? Anything to look out for?

I'll post pic's soon.

BTW.. is there a console with a seat out there available???
    I need one extra seat.. I was also thinking of mounting a early Blazer or even a Jeep rear seat in the rear cargo area to fit my two 4yr olds.
    Any help would be helpful. :-)

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome to CK5!
    Sounds like a good trck you have found for a reasonable price. Just check for rust in the rockers and tail pan (the part the tail gate bolts too).
    The 700r4 is a finicky tranny. It doesn't like being over heated. Make sue to put a big cooler in for it. 3.73 and 33.s is not too bad a gear for the transmission. If you decide to go to larger tires I would recomend to change the gears to take the strain off the transmission. If you went to 35's I would say 4.56s would be a good gear with the Overdrive.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcom to CK5, we don't know everything about these trucks, but we fake it pretty good.

4. BlazinNewTrails

Thanks for the info Reaper! :-)
    I agree with you on the gearing issue.
    My Ram has 4.10's w/ 33's and OD and it seems about right.
    As much as I want to run 35's on the Blazer, I think I'll wait until I can regear to 4.56's.

Thanks for the welcome Z3pr!!! :-)

I've been living on Dodgetrucks.org for awhile and it is an awesome site for Ram owners.
    I also hang out at Pavementsucks.com and more recently a brand new site called OffRoadWorld.net.

It was a no brainer when I bought my Blazer to come to CK5.

Any help on the seating issue I asked about?

Thanks again!
    Greg

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Greg, there are companies out there that sell a full-width front seat that has buckets for the driver and passenger, and the center section has a seat that folds down to make an armrest. I've never seen a seat that would just replace the center console. Check with a place that does van conversions. They should have a selection of seats for you to choose from.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well I'm glad ya came to your sences and bought a Chevy!

And where you at in Washington?

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

on ebay, do a search under "center seat folding replacement" there was a seat like you are looking for although it might have ended, nope i just checked, has an hour left, although it is ridiculously expensive,

welcome /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    good luck /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    have fun /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. BlazinNewTrails

Thanks for the info guys! Harry I would never have thought about a conversion van place, although that makes sense.
    I'm thinking that adding a Jeep or older Blazer rear seat in the very back WITH seatbelts may be a lot cheaper.
    I think the little ones would enjoy the adventure of climbing back there. There are only 6 of us 10 days a month anyway.

reddog I live in Lynnwood just an hour south of you or so.
    Thanks again guys!

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the afliction! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Hope we can see what that new blazer can do soon! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif