Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

black 81 pickup with fire red stripes, grille opinion ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jul 19, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

suppose you had a gloss black 81 pickup(first year for the box four small square headlights front clip design) and you put two wide fire red stripes down the hood and roof, and colored the wiper arms fire red too

what would you color the entire grille ? would you go with solid gloss black grille and put the stripes down it from up on the hood, or go with solid fire red grille ?

what do you think would look better

thats where im at, is i have the red stripes on and the wiper arms red and truck all gloss black

looks neat so far, the neighbor kids say(and i directly quote) that it looks tight,

but the silverado 4 light grille setup needs to not be dull worn out faded peeling chrome plastic anymore... needs to be changed in order to continue with transformation of the truck to "custom" unique sport scheme lol

im kinda just playing as i go with it, definitely be unique but cool when its finished, and its a daily driver so i can go run it around town and such and get reactions and whatever from the general public, and so far its been good

thanks

Last edited: Jul 20, 2005
  2. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

i would have to go black, and i also am not sure if i would put the red stripe on them... i think i would go all black and leave it at that...

$.02 :)

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Phantom billet grille

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

:thinking: :thumb:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Solid black. How about some pics?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got one that I nabbed from a Suburban of unknown vintage. It's mostly plastic, with a few chrome trim strips. Across the center is a strip about 2 inches wide that was painted to match the color of the body. If you could find one like that, then doing it mostly black, with a red stripe might match your color scheme pretty well. :laugh:

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

not going billet, although i would on my caprice though if could find one that would fit them 80-90 years

good luck though lol

my truck grille was originally black but most of it is missing now, so its like bare plastic or something now, but its aluminum color under the black so maybe GM painted silver grilles black factory in 81 ?

i want to go with painted look,

only chrome will be the bumper and side markers

i need ideas/thoughts/tips, etc

thanks

8. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My truck is black with charcole color stripes modelled of the chevelle SS stripes on the hood and used-to-be tailgate. My grill was black and the roof was black. LKooked pretty good. I can try to find a pic.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no digicam sorry, i wish, but i can get 35mm done but take some time
    and its not ready for pics yet anyways :P

thanks

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hell yeah :D i wanna see if so, what year yours ?

or is it in your sig, ill have to look lol when this post goes through as soon as i click on submit,. heh

thanks

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

80s vintage

lol :p:

yeh pic would be great, with the stripes, im really curious now that i know its an 80s one like mine is

lol

thanks
    :p:

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so... uhhh..... so far black is what its looking like

any other opinions/ideas/suggestions- to make an 81 chevy truck look even more sporty/cool thats already gloss black exterior with two red stripes down hood and cowl panel ?

anything down sides or on sides painted red ? i thought about big solid red bowties and a vertical sharp diagonal stripe somewhere on side of cab or something and/or a narrower stripe over front of hood and fenders like the RS/SS 67-69 camaros ? like blue or white or gray ? probably gray would be best looking on black truck with red stripes) but im tihning i better leave well enough alone as far as the hood goes anyways

the stripes are 10" wide BTW and 16" apart i think ? i swear i measured 8" either side of middle of hood ridge when i was laying out the tape

ill have to recheck that

whatever dimensions they are i and everyone else so far like it, it looks great i did a pretty good job putting them on, and it only took like about 45 minutes to do- altogether- from first tape lay down all way to peeling off tape and paper after done spraying, i need to wet sand with 900 to 1200 paper and clearcoat the hood and cowl panel, ill do that like in a week or so, after final touch ups and such that i need to do, i actually should have used the hood from the other 81 cuz its a perfect hood, but its got hood ornament and i cant be having that on a sport scheme truck,

easy as hell layout with pencil and tape measure and paper and masking tape shoulda done this long ass time ago

:D

thanks

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

looks like going with black grill,e will do it today this morning some time, will rmeove all chrome clunky surround trim pieces from around grille permanently and the headlamp bezels and paint the bezels and grille and put bezels back on but not any of the chromed silverado type grille and surround trim pieces, and will toss them in trash instead,
    and make some kind of flush gap-hiding surround filler pieces for around the outer perimeter of the grille/bezels outer edges where they `meet' the fenders and hood(may need assistance with ideas on what to use and how, hmmm. cuz im unsure yet, havent really doen any brainstorming on this one yet)

this all to make it smooth appearance and no gaps and clunky stuff- like the grille surround crap trims

like i said, will be unique, and smooth, but not crap,, ill figure out how, as i go with it,
    im doing it to this truck because its just my old beater daily driver nothing special one, and is a chevy, so..

is like my trial and error truck,

and so far so good :wink1:

also i said hell with the damn falling apart POS C60 HVAC system and i just got done COMPLETELY removing it all, ill just sheetmetal over the damn firewall and later on patch and weld flush and paint or something or whatever, so its gonna be summer time-only truck for sure now lol :p:

and i must mention that i would or could NEVER do this crap to any 67-72 truck or anything badass like that, as they came out as beautiful as they can be- from factory, especially the 67 and 68's

just freaking hot looking in stock original form, especially the CST's and Customs(bright metal grille openings and eyebrows and leading hood edge and chromed bumper)

drool!!

ppl who stick square lights and cut the grilles and do other dumb crap to them just piss me off,
    just are uglifying beauty, and nothing more or less

but anyways, any more ideas tips suggestions etc regarding sport look conversion on this 81(not requiring a welder or body cutting or anything like that, etc) lemme know thanks