Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Black Bear Pass....w/K5

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by K5 NUTT, Aug 12, 2003.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well i've gone a done it this time...and never again!!! Ran Black Bear Pass sunday...i will admit i had white knuckles and a seat cushion sucked up my a--....ingram falls is a awesome sight...and getting there is a slow and steady ride...after that is where the (Puker Factor) gets out of hand...the switch back is barely wide enough for a K5...and you have about 4 of these to deal with...not to mention the nerve racking 3 to 5 point turns along the way...got som great pics but i will never do this trail again in anything larger than a quad...puker factor overload!!!!

Saturday we ran alpine loop to poukipsie gulch...played in the sluice...huracaine pass...then up and over corkscrew pass...awesome scenery!!! Stopped in silverton for the 2003 hardrockin holidays...very enjoyable display of mining machinery in action...saw a nice 81 up K5 in the parking lot...gun metal gray and a black color on the bottom...didn't get a plate number...anyone here own this one?

DW

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well lets see those pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Sorry...puter challenged...don't no how to post pics...

DW

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Gee Doug, weren't ya embarrased when the tours came by in their open-top Suburbans? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've done Black Bear 3 times. Once in a K5 and twice in an S-Jimmy. I love the views up there. You're just gonna have to get used to this Colorado wheelin'. Lots of shelf roads and spots where the edge drops off forever... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That little squeeze at the top of Black Bear, where the left tires are kicking rocks down into the creek below bothers me more than coming down the switchbacks. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Hope none of rental heeps tried to pass you. Those flatlanders always scare the hell out of me! I just wish someone would tell them what low range is for and that those Heep TV ads are done with an unlimited budget and computer graphics /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Doug/AKA:OLD DAWG

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I skipped that ride when a toyota guy told me there was barely room enough for his width. My Blazer is gun metal gray with black rims. When were you there?

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Saturday afternoon ....arrived in silverton via corkscrew between 2-3pm...noticed the K5 walkin in to the hardrockin holidays event...caught the tail end of the jack leg drillin...stayed and watched the machine muckin and the hand muckin...left when the 3rd contestant in the hand muckin fell down the pile after the first shovel full as he was plastered. Went into town and did some shopin...then on a wild hare....as it started to rain left town towards the old hundred gold mine...and then went to animas forks to look around and headid back to ouray after dark....wish i had known that was the wekend you were going to be there...thats why i was askin in your post so we could ride some trails together...nice lookin ride though!!!!

DW

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Harry....that little drop off into ingram falls was no biggy as az wheelin is kinda the same...lots of rocks in a wash...if you roll you will get some bumps and bruises...not certain death like the switchbacks...so i guess i just need to get used to the high altitude wheelin on goat trails....lol. But the view was stunning....nothing like it in the world.

DW

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Seems our group were the only souls out on the trail that day...passed a couple of greeny type hikers and there pack dog...but that was about it....

Did get some tude from an a-- at the KOA camp ground who asked me if that was my pos K5 outside....said he dispose of it for free...if it wasn't so late at night...and me being so damn tired....that jeeper would have recieved a much needed attitude adjustment....did notice the heep owners look down there nose at you down there...course when you drive by them in the sluice above pokipsie....they have no problem taking a winch ride up.... :0).

DW

DW

10. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Had the wifes 4-Runner on Engineer last summer, just havin a good time showing her nephew what kind of sights we have out here when this #$*&# Heep driver tries to pass me on the low side of a mild stair section. Next thing you know he's bouncing off the edge, and finally kills it with just the two driver side tires holding him from rolling down a short but steep embankment. We stop next to just to give him the "God, your'e a dumb s#*t stare" when he says, "I could use a little help here ya know". I won't repeat what my wife said back but I'm afraid I have a soft spot for lost dogs and idiots. So I ran a chain from my frame to his to keep him from going over after warning him not to move.A guy with a wnch came along and we got him out (after pictures were taken of course). It turns out this dummy had bought the H##p 2months before had driven it on the streets in Phoenix and had no clue that it had a low range /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I had to explain to him #1 he didn't have a real roll cage,#2 he had open diffs (not real 4WD)#3 that his sister(who we pulled out of the H##p over him was in shock from what had just happened. This kind of "4 wheeler" scares the hell out of me since I generally get called to the ER for a trauma several times during the summer for these people /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Someday when I'm more computer saavy I'll post the pics.
    Doug

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did get some tude from an a-- at the KOA camp ground who asked me if that was my pos K5 outside....said he dispose of it for free...

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh heh.... Wonder what he'd say if mine would'a been out there /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

Marv

12. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Marv ...had i not been dead on my feet from wheelin from sun-up till well past dark...i would have been nasty with him....

Just tryin to figure out where these wieners get there holyer than thou tude??? Just as bad as a R>U>B...( Rich Urban Biker). Lol.

DW

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

No, wasn't me. I was there the week before. Funny, but almost everyone I saw was from Texas and Oklahoma. There were some pretty nice trail rigs too. I saw the JP magazine crew in town/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I might have to go back next year again. Beautiful country /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Doug, you get some of "those" types down there. Most of the locals are pretty cool about any "real 4WDs". You do get some of the rich boys that show up with their "Bought Not Built" rigs and they're attitude chumps. A friend of my is a Heeper and the place he deals with has plenty of stories of new Rubicons being dropped off to have $15-30K worth of mods done. The shop owner has to track these people down to tell them the Heep has been done for several months, then they send one of their "people" to pick it up. Must be nice to have that much green lying around./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Just hope it never breaks I guess. OLD DAWG

15. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

2 weeks ago we saw a lot of midwest plates when we ran Holy Cross...and come to think of it all i saw were outa state plates....

Seems that area would be the ultimate place for a 4x4 shop...however the winter months would suck really hard.

The locals are cool for sure...its the idiots with cash and toys they have no clue on how to operate that seem to be the problem...allthough the old people from outa state apparantly watched our descent with spy glasses and couldn't believe a K5 came down that trail....

DW

16. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Ouray gets like 2 hours of actual sunlight in the winter, although the ice climbing is incredible /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

17. samiam

samiam Registered Member

OK.. I think I got this figured out..Next week when I try Black Bear, My faithfull 73 K5 with auto, 350 Carbed, posi-rear, locked front, moderate lift, and 35's will probably do just fine?? I dont worry too much about pulling the Cheep Skins out of the old butt crack but going to my final reward is not a good option. Did I mention that the rest of our group is all (heep) including a rubicon ? I know, its a bad crowd to run with but friendships pre-date vehicle choices.. besides I need to go along to help them through the "scarry places"

18. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

You might want to bring some leaner jets for your carb. It ain't no fun stallin out on that one /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You're really gonna hate that locked front axle by the time you get to the bottom of the switchbacks on Black Bear. The trail and the switchbacks are plenty wide to safely turn around (last time I was there, a tour company was taking people on the trail in Suburbans!). But that locked front end is gonna mean lots of back-and-fill to get around the switchbacks. So eat your Wheaties that morning! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The altitude around those parts is 9,000+ feet, so your carb is gonna be running pretty rich. Note that Black Bear is a one-way trail. You can only come DOWN the switchbacks into Telluride. The other end starts over near Ouray. You can then get back to Ouray via Imogene Pass, which starts right behind some of the houses at the edge of Telluride.

20. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I unlocked my front end doing the switchbacks...the first one is a real bi---....the rest aren't that bad but a locked front end make it more time consuming....

DW