Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Black box/205 Doubler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Mar 13, 2007.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Anyone buy a black box from northwest fabworks and try it out yet? Looks mights impresive compared to the 203/205 doubler setup. Im looking to get one and bolt it up to a 205. What are you thoughts?

2. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a guy at work has a sm465/black box/205. it works awesome and weighs a lot less than the 203 range box. The cost is crazy though. 1500 just for the box and then he needed a 32 spline 205, 32 spline 465 output, a transmission/box adapter, and then another adapter to mount his 205. oh and the custom cross members. ended costing him nearly $3k IIRC. That does include his new drive shafts from HAD. Probably could've saved a couple bucks going with a different shaft maker. This might be our only option soon though with how rare bolt in parts are becoming for the 203/205.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

what do you mean by bolt in parts for 203/205?

4. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

I've got a Klune (which is the same thing) to 205 and it works great. If you have and older GM 205 like I did you also need an adaptor for the 205 to bolt it up. Crossmembers for me was easy I made a mount for the Klune and used stock crossmembers.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, ORD's Doubler is what ... a grand or so for the Doubler and the shifter kit, plus the correct 205 and foot for it, the 203 range box, crossmembers, and shafts.

I lucked out and got the '205 and foot for cheap, and I just used factory crossmembers, so I'm in for maybe $1700, not having bought new shafts yet... any kind of extra-transfer-case-goodies just ain't cheap!

-- A

6. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure how much $$ you have to spend " BUT" I thought long and hard about my doubler options for my burb . I think in the long run I would be money ahead with a atlas 4 speed or a stax 3 speed . Because of it's size I may not have to mod my shafts and I think I could do this all for around $3k . I'm thinking long term though . I may be ditching the burb and building an s10 exrta cab with all my burb running gear . I'm not crazy aboot bolting 2 cases together and paying $1500-$2000 when I could just get the best for a little bit more . I did look into getting a klune ( and I know of a few peeps who have broke them :( ) but with all the adapters ( 2 ) and mods to my 4speed I would be better off just modding the sm465 with the 32 spline short shaft and bolting it to a complete badass t-case . I think the ratios I was looking at ( off the top of my head ) 1.1 , 2.1 ,3.4 ,5.5 ( 4 speed case ) . That with my 4 speed would allow me to keep my 4:10 gears ( saving me over $500 ) and hopefully keep my shafts untill I have the coin upgrade and still have a pretty sick crawl ratio :D .

7. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What I meant by bolt in was finding a 203 with an input that matches your output, an adapter that mates the 203 to your tranny, and a 205 with a round pattern and short 32 spline input. That way you can just bolt them in without maching, swaping shafts, or redrilling t-case faces. I know, I know GM made millions of these things and the parts are out there. Just not as easy to find these days.

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

gotcha.

well i think i like my gear selection in my doubler a little better than an atlas:D. i got: 1:1 2:1 3.2:1 and 6.4:1. only thing is that the atlas has over it is that it is shorter, but with a long bed, who cares :)

9. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Woa, is your truck in the top 50 finalists for top truck challange? like #38 I think? If so I voted for your I love your truck :D

10. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Yea thats me #38, the white crew cab #4 is my buddy. At first I thought I didn't have a chance of makin it, but here lately ALOT of people are saying they voted for me. Thanks for the vote

11. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Sorry for the hijack:
    M-1028 Could you e-mail me some pics of your truck? specificly some good shots of the exocage I'd like to get some ideas for mine, thanks.

carguy123@sbcglobal.net

12. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

I'll get you those pics, I am leavin today and will be gone till sunday so I'll try monday.