Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Black Diamond Shocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BMR, Mar 10, 2001.

1. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I was told by a 4x4 shop up here that Warn was no longer makeing there Black Diamond shocks because they weren't any good. Is this true? I have BD shocks all around and opposeing dual steering stablizers in the front. I like them. Does anyone else have them? Any problems? I would hate to not to be able to replace them.

Building for Balls not Beauty

2. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Warn did away with the Black Diamond brand in Sept '00. The primary reason was lack of profitability. There were so many suspension companies that BD was getting lost in the shuffle (except for their extreme coil kit for the Jeeps). Black Diamond was basically the old Tuff Country suspension line revamped and marketed as BD. A lot of people I've talked to are happy with their BD lifts, while others aren't. As for the shocks, there are only like 3 major manufacturers of shocks - Monroe, Fox, and one other (if memory serves correctly) as far as I know, all the suspension companies buy their shocks from one of these 3 (except probably Edelbrock) - anyway I do know the BD springs were pretty stiff, as they were using 30-yr old technology still - but as for the shocks...?

I have heard rumors (I've worked at Warn- and start full-time in April as an engineer) that the entire BD line has been bought by some company - no word as to it that is yet... If it were me, I'd run the BD stuff until the shocks lose their "shock" then change to a different brand - you'll probably want a bigger/smaller/different lift for your Blazer by then anyway...

3. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Thank you very much for clearing that up. It kind of erks me that I bought what I thought to be a perimium brand of shocks, I mean they where Warn. Appearently they weren't that great if the line was dropped. Kind of frustrating....I like them. But now they are a classic in less then year and a half of owning them. Again Thanks.

Building for Balls not Beauty

4. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

I run Black Diamond XT's and a dual stabilizer and was disappointed when I found out that Warn was dropping that line. However, I was just told by Warn this morning that the Black Diamond line was actually bought by another company and not dropped so you should still be able to BD stuff in the future (just won't be associated with Warn anymore). The company name is something like Woods/Ready Dist. but they answer the phone as Black Diamond. Phone number is 1-318-807-6666...

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Warn didn't drop the Black Diamond line because it was "no good". They dropped it because too many other companies are competing in the suspension market, driving prices down. Warn decided that they couldn't make enough money selling in that market, so they dropped the line.

A friend of mine has their coil-over kit on a CJ7. The articulation on that thing is simply amazing! It crawls all over Moab like a spider, all 4 wheels touching the ground in almost any situation.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

6. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The coil-over is pretty sweet - that was developed by Warn - (as was most of the Jeep stuff as well as the 4" lift for the 88-98 Chevy fullsizes) the other BD stuff (especially lift kits for the older rigs) was left over from the previous Rough Country line.