Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Black Diamond Shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Mar 28, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Anyone know anything about Black Diamond Shocks? I need new shocks for my truck, and I have a dual shock setup, so I will need 8 shocks. I was just browsing eBay and came across this set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK-DIAMOND-SHOCKS-CHEVY-PICKUP-BLAZER-SUBURBAN-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ8030897394

If I just bought two sets of those shocks, it would work. Any good/bad news about these shocks? I'm such a newb.

I have a 4" lift and these say they work for 4" lifts. Rip off or not?

2. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I dont know anything about those shocks, but why are you running dual shocks? You dont need them, they are mostly for show, unless your doing like desert racing or something. I think most people who have the factory dual shocks in the front only run singles, as I did too.

3. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

I think maybe Chevy designed it that way for a reason. At over 6,000 lbs. most of the weight is up front. Sure doesn't hurt having the extra two. Btw there are only 2 on the rear so you only need a total of 6, not 8.

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Well im sure most people on here would say to ditch them, I mean theres alot of trucks that are way more than a k5 and only use single shocks.

5. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I have 4 on the rear and 4 on the front, so I will need 8. Noone knows anything about black diamond shocks at all??

I run a dual shock setup because I bought the lift used from someone for pretty cheap and that's what it had. I just put it on there, hell, what does an extra 4 shocks hurt?

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

your credibilty. j/k

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Black diamond USED to be made by Warn but they ended up selling that line to someone else. I used to have a set on my old truck. They are not the best shock in the world, more comparable to stock OEM replacement if you ask me as far as ride quality.

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The ride quality... it will ride badly (rough) if the shocks are not valved properly..

9. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Alright, well due to money issues and the fact that apparently dual shock setups decrease ride quality, I'm planning on just buying 4 shocks and taking the dual mounts off......

So can anyone suggest what size, type, and brand of shocks to get? Since I have a 4" lift, I don't know exactly what length I need.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Look like a rebadged set of Gabrial Ultras to me. Gabrial Ultras are good shocks. Many lift companys use them and sell them under their own name like
    Hecthorn, Tuff country, ECT

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

*snicker*

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hey some of us like dual shocks. I tried single on the front and hated it. Single faded out Fast at 60 MPH on a dirty road. My Blazer handled like a pig at speed in the dirt with singles. YUK
    Miles and miles Washboard roads suck with single shocks. Maby if you are puttin down the trail they are great but Single tubes aint for everyone.

13. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

x2.

14. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

So basically the guys that "snicker" are saying the Chevy enginers didn't have a fu(king clue what they were doing.

15. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what are the advantages of runnin singles up front and what ones should i get

16. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Well duals gives you like an extra inch of lift or so.

:haha::haha::haha:

17. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Disclaimer: this is not a personal attack, so don't take it as one

Yes, it is safe to say that chevy designed it that way for a reason. Everything chevy designs is for a reason. That does not mean that the way chevy did it is the best way at all. Also, what chevy intended and designed the truck for isn't neccessarily what we are building our trucks for, and that is why a lot of members here have made drastic changes to their trucks.

Yes, most of the weight is up front, so you get a single shock that is valved appropriately.

Yes, it can hurt having the extra two depending on what you are using the truck for; i.e., crawling

When you go with two shocks, you need to pay attention to the valving. The trucks that most benefit from this setup are desert trucks, or other trucks where the shock is cycling very rapidly. This cycling causes heat to build up and creates fading. When you use two shocks and reduce the valving, you are essentially dividing the same amount of work between two shocks--so each shock does less work, doesn't create as much heat, doesn't fade, and performs properly. Incidentally, they use resevoir shocks to combat heat and fading as well. Shock technology has changed a bit over the years.

Few people are driving in such situations where they would benefit from the dual shock setup. The higher cost and stiffer ride is may not always be desireable, not to mention the limits in rock crawling. Many people don't get the valving right, so the ride ends up being much, much stiffer, and that definitely hurts travel. In situations where you are looking for maximum articulation or travel, dual shocks really can hinder performance. For what its worth, when I did my suspension, Stephen at ORD strongly advised against going with duals. The general consensus is that dual shocks should be avoided, but there are unique situations where they help. Don't take my word for it, do a search.

Again, not a personal attack or anything, but my "snicker" was because sentence 1, 2, 3, and 4 all had some serious flaws. I would have rather left it with the previous remark, but I figured you wanted to know why I made my previous post. I probably have a few errors in my thinking as well--no biggie, we are all on the same team :wink1:

18. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

So anyone have any actual suggestions on what type/brand of shocks to get?

19. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think i'm about to drop some coin on the mx6 adjustables. Nothing like an adjustable monotube. You can get the ride that YOU like and have the adjustability for changing conditions. Still, $300 for 4 shocks is a tough pill to take.

20. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Go Bilstein

If you've got the coin, Bilstein; if you don't have the $, buy something cheap and save up for bilsteins. www.shox.com has a better price than anybody, and they have one of those low price guarantees. This was for a different car of course, but after talking to the guy at that website, they seem like the only way to be.

Again, for a different car, but I was originally looking for some adjustable Koni's and the guy said that bilsteins are auto adjusting, so they always perform right and you don't have to fiddle with anything (this may or may not be accurate). What really got me is that bilsteins don't gradually fail like virtually all other shocks do. Bilsteins will still be like 95% as effective as new right up until they go out (somewhere around 100,000 miles). Other shocks deteriorate gradually as you drive on them. I think the guy I talked to was the owner, and he said he won't buy a car unless bilstein makes a shock for it--pretty strong endorsement from a guy who specializes in shocks. I had them on a smaller car, and my dad currently has them on his suburban because his close friend who owns an auto shop told him that they are the only way to go.

The 5100 series would be adequate. I am hoping to put some 5150's on when I do my long travel setup in the next few months.

Sorry for all the novel, but if you can't tell... I am a fan of bilsteins.