Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Black gunk

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MILOLGJC, Feb 6, 2003.

1. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

I opened up both valve covers on a 76 k5 today and found a strange substance surrounding some of the valve stems. This stuff was a dark oily flaky substance that was somewhat hard. I removed most of the stuff with a small screw driver and sucked it up with a vacuum. sort of looked like cooked oil. Any clues. Thanks!

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

My guess: Carbon deposits caused by leaky valve guides allowing combustion junk to get up there.
    -- Mike

3. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Get a can of MOA from any Napa store and add to your
    Oil this will help on getting rid of the oil sludge.
    May take a few time of changing your oil with the MOA.
    Also us a high quality oil.
    hope this helps,
    Bo

4. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

I see this just about every day.. If you can smear it between your fingers and its not abrasive, and is about the same color as ISKY rev lube (the hands down BEST cam jelly, pretty much a higher pressure moly grease formulated for cams.) then it is probably from Slick 50, or some other snake oil thats supposed to make your "Wore out engine new again." What usually happens next is the guides quit getting oil and you taper out your valve stems and trash whats left of your guides, then pay a guy like me to go through them.

If not, then I agree with other poster... Oil sludge or carbon.

You think thats gross. Try getting into one of those new Toyota 3.4L V6's. I'd like to kick the guy in the nuts who decided to put "Change oil every 7500 miles." under the hood. THERE'S NOT A FRIGGIN' OIL OUT THERE THAT LASTS 7500 MILES!!!!!!!!!" Especially not when its got like a 4 quart pan.?! Why they had to be like Honda, I'll never understand. I saw a 3.4 that had its oil changed every 7500 miles like Toyota said make it just over the factory warranty by 100 miles then blow 3 rods out the driver side of the block.

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    THERE'S NOT A FRIGGIN' OIL OUT THERE THAT LASTS 7500 MILES!!!!!!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ] I beg to differ Amsoil Now if they use a cheap oil then no I don't think it will last the 7500 miles. Now if someone was to use a good Synthetic Oil Like Amsoil you can go 25,000 or One year and change the filter at 12,500 miles.

Eric

6. 4DiggerDan

Hmmmmm... I'm still skeptical. Bring me your engine after not changing the oil for 25,000 miles and then I'll believe it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I personally like Valvoline, and I change my oil every 2500 miles. My idea of abusing an engine is not changing oil, or running it out of water. Not driving with a heavy foot.

Of course, look at the typical Toyota owner. They're the Mama's boy yuppy types that take their truck to a Jiffy Screuwbe and have them pump in Quaker State. Which is NOT OIL!!! Its plastic crap that pisses me off when I tear apart an engine.

That being said. If people took care of their sh!t, I'd be out of a job! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Change my oil every 2500-3000 miles,Castrol 10/30 till after 200,000,20/50 since then.Over 450,000 miles now and only repair was timming assem.at about 220,000.External parts not counted.Puffs little smoke if twisted over 2500,but,only uses bout 2 qts to oil change.Gets good filter every change too.It's been a GOOD one. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4DiggerDan

Yeah... Filters are definately one of those things people SHOULD pay more attention too. I don't know why Fram even calls theirs a filter. They should call it a sh!t recirculator. I was ignorant to filters until a WIX rep came into our shop. Now thats all I use (the local CarQuest stocks 'em) I actually figured out a way to cut open a used filter after use without getting any metal chips into it. Its one of those things that makes me ask myself "Did I really need to figure out another way to waste an hour out of my life????" But then its nice to know whats going on in your engine.

Most interesting thing I ever found in a filter was a dead hippy.