Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Black hardtops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, May 23, 2004.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

People with black hardtops does it get real hot in the summer? I am wanting to paint mine flatblack but don't want it to get too hot when camping in the back in the summer.
    Also is it painted on the inside too or just the outside?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Not painted on the inside, but it's black on the outside and it's downright unbearable come summer time.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had an '87 Blazer with the black topper when I lived in Houston. In the summer it felt like someone had left the door to a huge oven open in the back. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif The heat that radiated through the roof was just incredible. But I think that if you added some carpet or other type of insulation to the interior of the topper section that it would make a big difference.

4. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

hmm, maybe I'll leave it white then. Only reason I would have it on in the summer is for camping and that cause the old lady is scared of bears and thinks it will had some sort of protection for when were in the mountains.

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've got ac and the top still cooks us /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My old flat black top is brutal in the summer...and before I painted it flat black it was gloss white so I have a direct comparison. The white top kept the truck decently cool even in the hot sun.

I'm going to paint my new topper a medium tan color which should be a decent compromise.

Rene

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

yeah a I'm planning on line-x'ing the interior tan on mine so that might be another idea. I live far enough away that it won't be bad to copy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Tan goes quite good with black or even red so it still leaves some options open, and it's a good compromise as far as how hot it'll get. I just don't care for white toppers. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Rene

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Mine is black inside and out. It literally COOKS in the summer. I put an infrared thermometer on it from work on a 90 degree day. The outside of the top was over 150 degrees /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It was 115 inside /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif I have to leave the windows down if I drive it on the hot days or it's way too hot. White is the coolest color temp. wise, but other neutral colors work to keep the temp. down as well. Mine will be getting repainted white soon, and getting lined in white on the inside too.

10. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

yeah my white is more of a dingy yellow-white, pretty gross. Guess thats what 30 years of Canadian weather gets it. I want to rattle mine flat green and have the interior line-x'd tan so a tan top would go fitting. Just figured flat black since its so easy to find.
    If I can sneak enough money I'd like to just spring for a soft top or better yet make my own since one of the POs used to have one, I have the snaps already on the windshield frame and would just tie it to the roll bar. Maybe I'll head that way. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Damnit I always think of something then it turns into another project I want to do /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I used to broil in my van when the roof was black,then I painted it blue to match the rest of it when it got surface rust---same deal,you could fry eggs on it!.Then I had the brainstorm of painting it with mobile home roof coating,that aluminum asphalt stuff--temparature went down very noticeably cooler.The stuff outlasts paint too,need to paint it only every 3 years instead of every year,seems to supress the rusting better than paint too.It does have a few drawbacks--it leaves a "tobacco stain'on the sides of the truck after many rainstorms(but it comes off easy)and if you get any solvent like carb cleaner on it it turns brown.They do sell a rubberized coating for RV roofs at the RV places,comes in silver and white.I probably would have used that instead,had I seen it first--and I wasnt so cheap! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif(already had the other stuff!) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Since I dont have AC,anything I could to reduce the interior temp was a plus--it helped quite a bit! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif P.S.It also works good for a cheap undercoating for frames and floors,etc.Builders around here use it to coat undergroud pipes and tanks to prevent rusting,and cement foundation waterproofing too!.