Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

black junk on the wheels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jun 26, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    Well I am polishing up my wheels because they are dirty. Well they have this black crap on them it's kinda like the rubber that you find on the road. Well I got 65% of it off, the wheels look good but I want them to look real nice. What do you guys use to clean up a wheel?
    Thanks
    ADam

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Brake dust..................

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah thats brake dust from your brake pads burning up.. just keep cleaning them with any strong house hold cleaner.

4. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

get a nice wheel acid from your local auto store. make sure it's safe to use on your wheels though.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Go to a truck wash every now and then.

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I use a variety of stuff, NeverDull, Eagle1 brake dust remover spray on stuff, Mothers Chrome wax. Typically I wash my rigs every two weeks so they never get very bad.

7. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Dirty wheels

Castrol makes this purple stuff degreaser that takes that crap right off, but may not be too safe on really nice rims. Simple green works pretty good to and is safe on just about everything. I spray it on at the DIY high pressure car wash, and have at it, zip-zip, it is done.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The best brake dust remover that I've tried is Armor All Quicksilver. Spray, rinse, and wipe. The wheels look much better! None of the other wheel cleaners that I tried seemed to make much difference.

Since you live in Maine, I'm guessing that your wheels also see LOTS of road salt. That stuff turns aluminum into a black, crusty mess. I once cleaned up a set of wheels that were pretty corroded by using a kitchen/bar cleaning product called Cameo. It's made for cleaning aluminum. It will remove the corrosion (with the proper amount of elbow grease added ;) ) But it also dulls the shine of the aluminum so you have to follow up with a good aluminum polish to make them look good again.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the salt eats the coating off the aluminum so they will corrode

they are all corroded here, cant keep aluminums on a DD unless you just dont drive it during winter or polish them everyday maybe

the mags on my 81 c-10 are totally missing the coating form about 3" of the outer diameter of the wheels, totally eaten away gone and are dull black pitted but they are light and they actually fit the hubs tight like factory rims do,so im leaving them on there the tires are 31 x 10.50 RVT's though, too much for the little c-10 with its 2.73 gears its a dog, the poor old 350 doesnt get any rpm going at all,

you can buy brake dust shields for wheels.,
    summit and etc,

good luck

10. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Brake cleaner... spray it on and use steel wool to rub off all the crap.