Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Black Primer pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chrome Moly, Jun 12, 2000.

1. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

A little sanding (actually alot) and some black primer goes a long way. Check-out my before and after pics. One day when I get sick of the primer i may paint my truck, but until then I'll just keepa sandin' away!

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Looks way better
    I also am transforming my rig to primer then to a color.
    This weekend I started with the inside bed area and man my arms hurt today.....[​IMG] but it's lookin better with every step!
    Late

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Vast improvement!! I'm thinking about doing the same to my '78. One question - what about the top? Can I just have at it with a Wagner power painter, or is there some prep work involved (aside from scraping off the crud)?

behemoth K5

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

No offense to you primer dudes but I was told by a few body shops that primer is actually bad to have on the vehicle over time. Primer has clay which holds moisture causing rust and does not give a protective barrier like paint does. I was told if I want the primer look to get flat gray, black or red paint. Back when I had my 70 Chevy truck, I sanded the paint down to bare metal and primered it. After a month or two, I did notice rust starting to appear all over. To paint it (6 months later), I had to again sand down to the bare metal and re-apply the primer.

Shawn
    87 K5

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmm, good advise i think after I primer the tub I will put a coat of flat black on it to giv it the seal out moister deal!!
    Thanks[​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have my Blazer primered black and it is true about it letting the moisture in and allowing the truck to rust. Also, I left my truck in outdoor storage for almost a year. When I got back and took a look at it, it had turned grey! It turns out that black primer doesn't like to stay black. Now I'm using Flat Black paint and I love it. It seals out the moisture and stays the same color. Just remember, different brands of black will have a slightly different tint to them, so you'll want to try to stick to just one brand.

7. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

You can put sealer over the primer and it won't rust and you retain the primer look, alot of hot rod guys do this.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

DMK is right, hot rodders have been doing it for ages. As long as you put a sealer on it , you shouldn't have any problems. I wish I had a dollar for every lead sled I've seen with just primer.....I'd be rich !

L8r,

.Riz.

9. Topher

Topher Registered Member

What kind of sealer would y'all recommend? And what kind of primer for that matter? Thanks.

Chris S.
    '85 & '78