Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Black Widow Shackle lift???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy88, May 2, 2005.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have any pics of their shackles installed or not. I heard they box the frame rail and was thinking of getting a set. Has anyone run them yet? Any help would be great. Anyone can PM me if they perfer not to post their opinions publically. Thanks for the help.

2. gmcjimmy88

Anyone got one?

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

WTF is it? :confused:

4. gmcjimmy88

It is a shackle lift that boxes in the frame rail. Made by Black Widow Performance. Seen something from him on here about brake lines and checked out his site. I was quoted $150 for the flip and needed input from people that might have used it. The web site is www.blackwidowperformance.com

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Where do you see this? I see where they list making a shackle flip but no website for it or information yet. Why would you need to box the frame in? On a frame that flexy I wouldn't recommend boxing just one spot, especially around such a stressful thing as the spring mount.

6. mightywhitey_k5

mightywhitey_k5 Registered Member

sounds like a cool idea to me with the boxed frame, but how much of it is accutially boxed and is it enough to add any strength. Besides whats wrong with ORD's flip every one is running it and i have yet to hear of a complaint. Thats my 2 cents.

7. gmcjimmy88

Well I have not seen it. I wrote them to get a quote. I was hoping someone had one on their truck already. I like ORD's but just looking for new ideas and was trying to get input, which is what I am getting. I wrote them back requesting pics so if I get them I will post them.

8. gmcjimmy88

Well I received an email back from them. They are planning on putting these on the site in a few weeks. As of right now they have just finished the testing and are trying to get them on the site for sale. I think if they are available before I need a set I will get a set and let you all know how they work.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm always looking for alternatives to the ORD setup. Their setup is great, just like to be different. The frame boxing idea doesn't sound great to me. Never seen an issue from it not being boxed.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would ask what size bolts they are running? If they are 7/16" bolts like stock I would not buy the kit unless they drilled it to at least 1/2". 7/16" bolts in the shackles even grade 8 can snap like twigs.

I would recommend no less then 1/2" bolts with 9/16" being a much better upgrade. His kit looks cool but does not include 1 thing. Bushings. If you are replacing the shackles you better replace the bushings. If they are stock they are toast.

You can get bushing aftermarket though from Daystar and others.

In my opinion greaseable bolts and bushings are a waste of time for the most part. You can never get grease in the damn things unless you loosen them almost all the way. I run ORD's HD greaseable shackles on my truck. I bought them before I knew better.

If I had to do it now I would go down to the steel yard and buy some 3/8" flat stock, 9/16" bolts & drill bit, and some Daystar bushings. You will have well under half the cost of ORD's kit in it and you will have a stronger product.

There is a special size tube you must get for the inserts for the bushings but it is available and works fine.

Harley

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

stock frame rivets are 3/8, not 7/16

12. Hossbaby50

I am not talking about frame rivets. I am talking about shackle bolts.

I am under the impression that he is talking about these

[​IMG]

These are front shackles.

Harley

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was under the impression he was talking about their shackle flip they are coming with.

I just reread and think you are right, he meant the shackles. If so "They box the frame"????? The stock ones mount the exact sameway, if someone claims theirs do something special, well they are full of it.

14. Hossbaby50

If he is talking about shackle flips then I would look at Sky Manufacturing. Price is like $135. Sky makes good stuff and has good customer service.

Harley

15. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I second the upgrade to 9/16" bolts on the shackles, a good friend of mine used to break shackle bolts EVERY trip out, I believe he ran 7/16", I think he ran just about every grade bolt you could get and they still broke, he then stepped up to either 5/8" or 3/4" and hasnt broken one yet.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

factory bolts (shackle, front suspension) are 7/16" and loaded on their threads on one end. Not good. Correct length 1/2" gr 8 bolts are up to the task for all but the most hardcore wheeler. 9/16" would be even better (duh), but it would also require a custom made frame shackle bracket.

j

17. Hossbaby50

How is that? You can run 9/16" bolts without major mods. The only difference between the HD 1/2" shackles and the beefier 9/16" upgrade is the size hole in the shackle, the size bolts in the shackle, and the thickness of the sleeve in the bushing.

You can run the standard bushing with a thinner sleeve and you are good to go. Some say that they thinner sleeve is to thin but I would call BS on that one. Both az-k5 and Therobzilla run 9/16" shackle setups like that for over a year of hard wheeling with no problems in the sleeves.

Rob (therobzilla) has managed to snap a 9/16" bolt at the shackle but he has some super flexy springs in the front end of his truck.

Harley

18. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

He was talking about the Shackle flip, not the front shackles.
    I believe they are talking about boxing the frame behind the shackle flip.
    I dont know how it got switched to the front HD shackles.

I run their front HD shackles on my truck with 1/2in bolts. Not a problem.

19. gmcjimmy88

I am referring to the skackle flip for the rear. I am still awaiting some pictures of it but once I get them I will post some. thanks for the link to sky I am checking them out now.

20. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner