Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blast Cabinet on the cheap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clstolten, Jan 7, 2006.

1. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Put together a blast cabinet with a 55 gallon drum. I got the drum from a guy at work for $5 and had to put it to use. Used scrap angle, tube, and sheet metal I had in my shop. Toilet flanges for the arm holes. Harbor Freight blast cabinet gloves. Plexy glass window. K5 endgate hinge for the plywood door. Blast gun from Home Depot. Lamp so I could see. Connected my shop vac to remove dust. Holds 100 lbs of sand and works very well. I blasted the knuckle in the pic in about 15 minutes.

blastfront.jpg

blastside.jpg

blastinside.jpg

blastknuckles.jpg

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That rocks man, how much did the whole setup start to finish cost?

3. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

That's so COOL!!!! I was just going to break down and buy one, but now, you've got me thinking...

4. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

The cost is hard to calculate since it has taken me so long to complete. Too many projects going at the same time. I had the steel laying in my back yard. 55 gallon drums go for about $5. The blast gun is like $15. The gloves from harbor freight are super cheap. I would guess that I have around $75 into it. Uses lots of air and will probably make my electric bill go up. I have seen people make these out of plywood as well.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Nice work! I sandblast large stuff outside, and have bought a cheap $99 cabinet for small stuff. The cheap cabinet is a regrettable purchase. You get what you pay for. Dust flys from every seem, even with a vac hooked up. The fittings pop off the air nozzle no matter how much I tighten it, the gun trigger gets easily jambed.

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Not bad! With a respirator, you're ready to blast.