Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer 1988

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazer_Norrbotten, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Blazer_Norrbotten

Blazer_Norrbotten Newbie

Hi all,

I'm considering to buy a Blazer 1988 gone 75 000 miles, 350 motor with TH700 (?) gearbox. I'm new to Blazers and to V8's, auto gearboxes and four-wheel-drives, so I'd appreciate some advices what are the things I should look at the car ? Sound of engine / driveline / gearbox ? Owner says it's rost only in one of the hinges ! But still, is there some special place in the car I should check ? It looks pretty stock, with 31" (again, ?) tires. So far I've seen only pics about it, but I'm planning a trip to see the car.

Best Regards,
    Markus

2. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

Check for rust in the back of the bed/tail pan area, where the front seats bolt up, where the front seat belts mount up and right behind them -- where the floor raises into the bed corners.

3. Blazer_Norrbotten

Blazer_Norrbotten Newbie

Thanks, I'll do that ! Anythning to check around the driveline / gears etc ?
    EDIT: and is there any considerations about using this vehicle in cold environment, we have half the year below 0 celsius and months with temperatures down to -20 - 25 celsius ?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2005
  4. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I.ll second everything he said about the rust and especially the belt mounts.
    I havent seen one Blazer here in Sweden who is not very rusty in that area.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the 700 can be expensive to rebuild so make sure it shifts nice. Bring a phillips head screwdriver with you when you look at it if it has carpet then you can easily pull the trim peices to get a good look at the floor

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No trouble in the cold climate. K5's were sold in Canada and the northern states and both get temps as low as -30 C to -40 C.

Rene