Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer 87 tips/info needed please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4swede, Sep 10, 2002.

1. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

Hi all )
    Yea Im waaay out country here, but not much to find in europe except the vehicles.
    Just got myself a 87 blazer dirtcheap, with new 700 tranny 350tbi and alot of new stuff on it.
    Anyone can recommend a good cheap liftkit? or some good shops with lotsa 4x4 stuff for the truck (cheaper buy from US then Sweden ().
    I would apprechiate som nice advices too on the model since this is my first 4x4 (pros /cons on model/weaknesses?), and probaly end up alot in the wilderness in sweden -p

cheers /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Welcome to the list

Anyone can recommend a good cheap liftkit?
    - Search the web for "lift kits" you can't get cheaoer than a lift kit for a solid front axle chevy. Price will be dependent on amount of lift and whether the rear lift uses blocks. IMO there aren't any major manufacturers that make "bad" kits - they just vary in flex and details.

I would apprechiate som nice advices too on the model
    - 1987 is a good model year - it has the first year of the TBI fuel injection and has the factory upgrades in the 700R4 transmission.

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Glad to have you here...Welcome!
    You might try 4 Wheel Parts Warehouse
    They have some good prices. I wouldn't hurry though, if the truck is new to you, hang out here and read. It will save you a lot of money in the long run, help you figure out just what you want your truck to become, make you <font color="red"> FULLY Adicted </font color> to this web site and your blazer. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Now that I gave you some advice....could you send over a few of the ladies from your countries swim team? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. 4x4swede

Thanks for the advices )
    Lol Storm I can try but its a long swim over the pool -p

Yes the blazer is new to me,, used a old j"#p wwII and a 85 cherokee thats all, didnt like the quality of jeep tho (.
    Probably mostly some light offroading/exploring is what I gona use it for, insane laws against offroading in sweden (.
    I probaly end up with a 4" lift for bigger tires then the 32" thats on it now, winch and a bull bar and skid plates as a starter.

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You should do a shackle flip for the 4" rear lift. Look at the kits, or do a home made one. Then you just need the 4" front springs. Then replace the auto locking front hubs with a good set of manual lockouts, get a set of 33s or 35s, and you are good to go.

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Buy a lock-rite locker(about $260 + shipping), that and putting on some bigger tires will be a big improvement in your trucks ability to go where you want it to. The locker is the best upgrade I have done to my truck so far. If you have a 10 bolt rear diff. like me you might not want to go bigger than 33's to avoid breaking stuff. Enjoy your truck and like somebody else said, read and learn from other people on this board, it will help you choose the right modifications and ultimately save you a lot of time and money. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Buy a lock-rite locker(about $260 + shipping), that and putting on some bigger tires will be a big improvement in your trucks ability to go where you want it to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree more. I think this was better than the lift and the tires.

8. 4x4swede

Already got Warn manual lockers, good or are they sheit?
    ohh and can anyone explain what the deal is with the K5? anything special on them or just a number? What I realy dont like is the small backseat, err correct that my wife dont like it hehe, I better get her some small a@@ jap car or something.
    And thanks for all info guys I realy aprechiate it (spelling might suck)I can always take it in swedish -p
    Booork boork bork bork boooorkkk boork bork -p

9. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Warn hubs are good.

As for the meaning of K5 there is some meaning to it and to a point it's just Chevy being strange.

The K is the designator chevy gave to all 4x4's at the time. The number is a bit strange because according to many parts places and internal to GM it is actually a K10. They used to number them by thier payload rating. 10 = 1/2 ton, 20 = 3/4 ton, and 30 = 1 ton C = 2wd and K = 4wd. Personally I think they named it a K5 because it isn't quite as big as the other trucks with the similar designators (slightly shorter wheel base than any of the other trucks). Most likely though they just pulled it out of thin air.