Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer all over road

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bgwhlr, Mar 16, 2005.

1. bgwhlr

bgwhlr Registered Member

Please help my blazer runs 1 ton running gear, 42" tires,8 inch lift, cross over steering, twin steer stabilizers, no frame cracks, and good steering box, but at 35 to 40 miles per hour the front drivers side tire starts turning back and forth causing the blaze to almost hop, and lose control. tires are balanced, and king pins are good. If I accelerate or slow below 35 it goes away what's happening ? please help:frown1:

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I believe what you are experiencing is fondly named "death wobble". I think you have to shim the king pin springs or get new ones to help remedy. Others can give you more info.

3. bgwhlr

bgwhlr Registered Member

thanks the springs seemed new though just replaced them but the king pins also seem kind of tight how do I shim or do I go new again?

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

the shim trick is using a fender washer the appropriate size that will fit inside the kingpin cap. use two or three of those for additional preload and it has helped some of the guys with DeathWobble.
    Also playing with the air pressure in your tires can help. Check your caster angle, and your Toe In.
    My bias ply TSL's like a little toe out, but my radial BFG muds like more little toe in.
    Loose parts like kingpins, wheel bearings, u bolts, cracked leaf spring bushings.. these all add up to some of the problem. I noticed after a wheeling trip with a cracked bushing my DW got worse. Torquing the hell outta your front ubolts can work wonders too.
    I went to hydro assist and it helps absorb a lot of the deathwobble.