Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer AWD?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Strahan, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Howdy. I was told the Blazers that are full time 4wd are, when not in 4HI or 4LO, all wheel drive. Is that true?

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yes.. The blazers with 203's are full time. The 203 has a differential inside the case itself to split power in normal operation.

You can shift to 4wd hi-loc and 4wd lo-loc.

This action locks the differential in the t-case.

Hope this helps,
    John

3. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

So then they are "all wheel drive"? One friend contends that just because all the wheels get power doesn't make it all wheel drive, it has something to do with how they slip or tranfer power. I haven't a clue personally, nor really a care hehe but I'm curious /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know mine is full time cuz I had to have it towed to the shop to get a tire and the truck driver lifted the front wheels and started to pull and the rear ones drug along the ground and made some nasty noises. I find out later that it grenaded my rear end grrr.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, old K5s with np203 tcases are full time 4wd or AWD. As to when diff lock up / slip etc thats an issue that depends on what kinda diff ya got... not what kinda tcase, though the 203 does have its own internal unlocking system IIRC. Ive never had one so i dunno...

j

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The NP-203 was designed to provide a 50/50 power split between the front and rear axles. The internal differential allows for speed differences without drivetrain binding. However, the diff inside is just a standard open diff, so if one wheel at one end starts spinning, say on ice, all of the power will be transferred to that wheel. At that point, you need to shift into a Lock position, which will lock out the internal diff and force both driveshafts to spin.

The Jeep Quadra-Trac transfer case was similar, but used a limited slip internal diff to minimize speed differences between the front and rear on slippery surfaces (Like the one-tire-on-ice example). However, for worst case scenarios, it still had the lock out option also. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Many cars have/had AWD systems with some type of limited slip in the transfer case. Some use clutches, while others use worm drive diffs, such as the Torsen. Some have used a viscous coupling, while others use electronically controlled clutch systems to keep power going to the tires with grip. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif