Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer back seat and Burb 3rd row seat the same?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Aug 22, 2005.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if the removable backseat of a Blazer is the same as the 3rd row seat of a Suburban ... years being the same.

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I don't know if the seat itself is exactly the same or not, but the mounts and mounting are exactly the same if that helps.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I guess what I need to know is if a Blazer seat will fit and work properly in a Suburban of the same year.

Thanks,

Eric M.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes it will, I have swapped many back and forth and of different yrs. Latest one I did was put a 81 burb seat in a 91 blazer and the fit and function are perfectly identical.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Hmmm....not sure what to think.

I swapped in a rear seat from an '87 into my '74 blazer. It uses the bolt in front mounts.

The 3rd row seat in my '87 burb uses floor brackets to hold it in. It doesn't bolt in in the front. It clips in with some brackets.

They are definitely not the same in my case. It could be that the seat in my blazer is from an earlier year and not an '87 though. I was just going off what the guy told me it was from.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Yes,

They changed the mounting set up somewhere along the line, but think they changed it the same year for both Burbs and Blazers. The 91 has the recess cross bars and comes in and out by hand, the 73 is a bolt in deal you need tools to remove. Not sure where in between they made the change.

Eric M.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That's what I'm saying. My '87 burb, the 3rd seat goes in and out by hand and uses the recessed cross bars. The seat I used in my '74 uses front bolts. I put a newer style flip & fold back seat in it.

I know for a fact that all blazers up to '77 used a bolt in style rear seat. '78 thru '91?? (at least thru '87 for sure), the blazer rear seat uses bolt in hinges in the front. I have owned a '74, '79, '84, & '87 blazer the all used bolt in rear seat hinges. I currently own both a '74 blazer and '87 burb. Very little inter-changes between the two.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

My dad's burb is a 81 body and has the in and out by hand and so does my sisters 80 K5

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm,

It's getting a bit confusing now. Has anyone actaully installed the backseat of a Blazer as the 3rd row seat in a Burb (or the other way around)? If so, what years were both and did they come out by hand or did you need tools?

Thanks,

Eric M.

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Eric, yes I have done it myself in my dads.

This is the way it works. If the back seats in the burb and blazer both come out by hand then they will interchange. If the back seats are bolted in, then they can only interchange with others that are bolted in.

11. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Thanks Jeff,

One last question. Long shot ... did it look like the shoulder harness seatbelts were the same too (from Blazer to Burb)?

Thanks,

Eric M.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That part I don't know as when I did mine, there weren't any shoulder belts, only lap belts. But the laps belts were the same.