Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Body Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crookedunit, Dec 7, 2003.

1. crookedunit

crookedunit Registered Member

I'm sure this has been covered before but my wife is yelling at me for working on the K5 all day and I don't have time to search the archives. I have the body off my '73 K5 and I'm wondering if a newer body (mid-late 80's) will bolt on with the existing body mounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

To my knowledge no, you'll have to move to mounts on each side, I think its the ones right around the door area.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The early frames don't have the same drop as the newer ones. In 78 they added a rear footwell behind the front passenger area and dropped the frame about 18" farther rearward compared to the old style.

The newer body will hit the frame in the footwell area by a lot.

I'd find a newer frame, or suck it up and channel the newer body to work with the frame you have. The newer frame would be a lot less work...

Rene

4. crookedunit

crookedunit Registered Member

Hmm, good point... maybe I'll stay full convertible and do some rust repair. I just dont want to spend the cash only to have my dog fall thru the floor 2 yrs from now.