Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer broken into

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JDBlazer454, Jan 20, 2004.

1. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I got my kids off to school this morning like usual only to have my 13 yr old daughter come back in and say "Mom the door is open on the Blazer". I look outside and yep sure is. I go out and check and it has definitely been gone through by someone, I cleaned it up inside this weekend and everything that was behind the rear seat was in front except my 38" spare and my high lift jack. Thankfully nothing is missing or damaged but I do have a dead battery now because the dome light was on too long.

I rarely lock my truck up because of where we live (out in the sticks) but we do have some new questionable neighbors. I have lived in my current home for 8 years without one problem.

Anyone had this happen to them? Any good ideas for better security? I do have an ignition cut off switch that is well hidden because of a previous Blazer being stolen. I am very worried now they will come back for stuff they were interested in /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

That really sucks! Not to sounds like a smart@ss, but locking your doors would keep them out of the truck. Maybe a security/motion sensor light where you park your truck. Did it happen at night or during the day?

Kris

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i agree..defently keep ur doors locked..my dads like that and never locks his, but i know better so ususally befor i come in for the night i make sure both trucks are locked..not that there exactly something a robber would wanan run after /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but u never know.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads car has been rifled through before, but again, unlocked, you aren't necessarily asking for it, but anymore, you've got to expect it.

I'd say one of the best deterrents is the column guard...piece that goes over the steering column that covers the ignition lock cylinder and the plastic housing it sits in. That's the easiest way to steal one of these trucks, and even with an ignition kill, the column will be broken before they figure it out. A colunm guard is a visible deterrent, at least even if they break into the vehicle, the column should be ok.

By the way, if you park it somewhere that you have electricity available, you can buy those motion sensing flood lights for $10. If you wanted to get real creative you could use the sensor to trigger an in-house alarm, but even without any fancy additions, light is a pretty powerful deterrent. Plus, if you can see the flood lights come on from your bedroom or other place you spend time when it's dark, you might get lucky and see them.

Of course, friend had his car parked right outside (20') of his bedroom window (with wife there as well) flood lights, and two larger dogs that are normally noisy, and free-roaming. Still got into the car, "luckily" only stole the wallet he left in it.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That pisses me off more than anything when some crack hungry dumbass steals something from you that you worked your ass off for honestly and while they are at it, doesn't care what they ruin trying to get it like broken windows and mangled dashes. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I would keep your blazer locked up and I agree on the motion sensing light.

I also live on the outskirts of town and we have lots of tools and farm equipment. We have found things missing many times including even a 600 dollar gas powered portable air compressor and the latest was a torch head.

I always leave my doors locked and my alarm armed at night because a I can't afford to have $2,500 dollars worth of audio equipment stolen along with a destroyed interior while they are in the process. In my experience you can't keep a thief from stealing your stuff but enough deterents will discourage one from bothering you.

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Saddly I've been there too.
    I leave mine unlocked with nothing valuable in it anymore.
    At least they won't bust my windows or door locks out anymore.
    I also keep my transfer in neutral or 4lo without the shifter knob so if they do manage to start it they aren't going to get very far before I hear it and can do something.

I put up the motion sensing lights and my neighbors kid still goes out and messes with it. I've shot him in the butt about a dozen times with a pellet rifle and he still does it.

Unfortunatly there really isn't a lot you can do to stop someone that is determined to steal your stuff or vandalize it. I'm all for shooting them in the foot or something if it will help keep them from breaking in to or messing with my truck again.

7. evilk5

evilk5 Registered Member

My Blazer was broken into over the summer when I had my soft top on, I was lucky the crack heads didnt cut my top, and stole my cd changer and fire extinguisher. They tried to take the deck but took the face plate (morons) next time I install i'm getting an ammo can and put the stereo in it and put it in the glove box. The part that makes me mad is my cd collection has to be replaced. I hear you on the bad luck. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go down and spend $199 and have an alarm installed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

we have been getting alot of theft in our nieghborhood, and its a nice one. Any ways I leave my truck out side with the stereo in all the time, my 6x9's are in boxes under the seats and in plain view, so is the mag light, no lock on the bran new 38 inch spare or high lift.

I even left my key in the ignition for over a month with no issues, I sadly just put a shirt or my gloves over it and I always put the t-case in nuetral. Any body who lives around here knows my truck and they know it's loud I imagine. But no problems, I also have a dummy deck, a old jc penny tape player in the stock location and my cd player is in dash where the panel insert goes, so maby they see the cheap deck first /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I think my truck is just too hard to get into, not to mention the steel plate I mounted to the cd player, they would also need a hack saw to cut through the dash to get to it, even then the thing it tac welded and the roll cage hampers progress of getting it out.

And if all of that does not work....my dad is a light sleeper and hasd a 45 in reach, seeing how the truck is right below his window, and he just got lasic sergery on his eyes.....he should't miss /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any good ideas for better security?

[/ QUOTE ]

In,ine fuel valve that's maual, I cant really describe it, but shut it off under the truck somewhere and it won't go far.

There are various things on Pirate BBS in the stolen vehicle forum

And there's always this

[ QUOTE ]
    I put up the motion sensing lights and my neighbors kid still goes out and messes with it. I've shot him in the butt about a dozen times with a pellet rifle and he still does it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what kind of community you live in, but if possible I'd consider beating the [darn] out of him, I mean you've shot him already...

If not, steal his bike/toys/whatnot

Hope it works out for all of you that are victims of theft, none of mine run at this point so I'm not too worried.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Agree with Shannon, worth $200 for a nice alarm installed. I have that and a Club on the Burb. Viper, Clifford, many good names out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif+

I hate thieves. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I just had about 600 bucks worth of stuff stolen out of the Blazer. They broke the bottom pivot of the wind wing to get in. Now the beat up old, oil leakin, fenders hacked up, cracked windshield, you get the idea, truck now has a 300 dollar alarm on it just to keep the asswipes from stealin anythin else. Ain't this just a grand world we live in at times?? Good luck to you in the future.

Allan

13. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I'm sorry to hear that, it really sucks! I installed an alarm with remote pager so I could hear it being tampered with before they got in.
    Bill

14. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Steering wheel locks (the club) are easy to get around... cut the steering wheel with a hack saw /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Steering wheel locks (the club) are easy to get around... cut the steering wheel with a hack saw /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    you are right but i do the same thing the club plus my alarm that way they have to get in and get passed the alarm and the club before i get out the door with the shotgun /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had a problem with someone wanting to steal anything out of my truck or steal my truck. My Sonoma was a different story. I did have a problem with a guy trying to steal gas but I shot him with the CO2 pistol a couple times.

I had a problem for a while with people stealing junk out of my back yard. It's real dark along the alley so you can get away with running away with someone's [darn]. I used to lose tools (nothing expensive) in broad daylight if I went inside and came back out an hour later. I'm pretty sure he was the guy that went to jail this summer. Anyway, I had a problem for a couple weeks of someone trying to break into my barn. One night I managed to get out of the house fast enough and got around 130 rounds out of my cousin's fully auto paint gun. Going by the cursing I'd say I got 'em with about half the rounds. All the racket woke up some of my other neighbors. Anyway, I suggest getting a fully auto paintball gun. It's good for four-legged critters and winged ones too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

18. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im glad I live in NYC. Nobody wants an old truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif They'd rather snack on Hondas, toyotas, and Subaru's.

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    That is pure bullshit! My suggestion is not to screw around with pellet guns, tasers, paintball etc. Use a shotgun(12 gauge w/ 00 buck). They're much easier to hit the target with versus a handgun. Once that little bastard hears a shotgun blast(or justs sees you standing there locked-n-loaded) he'll get the idea pretty quick. It's been my experience living in shitty neighborhoods my whole life that the only theft deterent(sp?) is catching the sonsofbitches and somehow threatening their life.

Three weeks ago two dudes tried breaking into my apartment at 3am. I met them at the door wif ma 12 gauge and it turned out to be my neighbor who lives four doors down. Unfortunately, I didn't shoot him. I called the poelease instead. Anyway, word spread pretty fast and now people won't even park next to my K5... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any good ideas for better security?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of those driveway alarms. I have one in my truck. If someone was to open the door, it would go off. I have it plugged in by my bed. Think it was $40? I just got it. I had something else, but it broke when it bounced off the cement.