Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Campers - Chalet or Pop-up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by performance1, Jan 23, 2004.

1. performance1

performance1 Registered Member

I've reached a point where I'm tired of camping on the ground...... it's camper time! I'm looking for something that I can bolt-on my '89 Blazer (in place of my hardtop)... and it looks like my best options are either the late 70's Chalet/Casa Grande campers OR the "no-longer-produced" Pop-up campers (which were made by Four Wheel Campers, Hallmark, and a few other company's)

Questions:
    1. Any recommendations or tips?
    2. Which of the above campers offer the best strength?
    3. Which are less weight?
    4. Anyone know of any for sale?

Thanks for any advice!

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I just have a thing for retro so I'd go with the Chalet/Casa Grande campers.
    But then again I've only seen one of those before and it was kinda bulky.

If you want to save weight and have a smaller all around package then I'd try to locate a pop up.

Either way they can easily be modified to suit your own needs/tastes.

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Try our web site...www.blazerchalet.com...allways something in the for sale section. There is a casa grande for sale $50 miles from me here in co. but the guy wants $1500 and there is no motor or trans...a while back there was one for sale in mesa az. with blown 400...

Being a chalet owner i would of course favor the chalet...just can't beat it. Somewhere i have a scale reciept of the front vs. rear axle weight and combined weight of my 76...but if i remember right it was around 6100lbs. There are several K5's with pop tops running around town (grand junction co. ) but most of them don't appear to be in great shape save one i see allways going the other way :0). Someone also told me that 4wheelers doesn't produce them anymore but they still could help out in the parts dept.

DW

4. FWP

FWP CRS

It's not in your list of options, but you could consider towing a very small light weight pop-up camper like I do sometimes....

I did a springover on it, and added the biggest tire/wheel combo that would fit the trailer. GVW of the trailer- 750 lbs, doesn't pull to bad with a 350 gas motor.....

Just a thought.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hya Doug:

Found this on a mog page. Can't rmember what page but had enough brains to grab it for you. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    No explination where it came from. Just a picture saying they had it back in the 70's and then got a mog and made it a camper. I think the shot is acutally in Africa. [​IMG]

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's not in your list of options, but you could consider towing a very small light weight pop-up camper like I do sometimes....

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats what i would do, then unhitch at the campsite and your free to go wheeling. i couldnt imagine doing anything but flat dirt roads with a camper strapped to the top.

7. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Grimmy thats a very interesting picture...notice the sport package stripes on the hood? Very cool indeed. Hope things are goin well for you these days my friend...and still hope to see a certain burb and trailer pull into my driveway someday!

Built the new motor for the chalet today...tomorrow i gotta finish a few things on it like oil pan and valve covers...then i have to wait till we have a warm spell to install the motor...then once i finish the vss and cel i'm outa here to go do some visiting of some long lost pals in az.

Need a break from this 20 degree weather.

DW

8. 88 jimmychanga

88 jimmychanga Registered Member

Is my truck the only one that has a warning that says the truck is not equipped to with stand a pop-up camper? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Grimmy thats a very interesting picture...notice the sport package stripes on the hood? Very cool indeed. Hope things are goin well for you these days my friend...and still hope to see a certain burb and trailer pull into my driveway someday!

Built the new motor for the chalet today...tomorrow i gotta finish a few things on it like oil pan and valve covers...then i have to wait till we have a warm spell to install the motor...then once i finish the vss and cel i'm outa here to go do some visiting of some long lost pals in az.

Need a break from this 20 degree weather.

DW

[/ QUOTE ]

I got 38 days of vacation this year. I have 10 planned. 5 in April to go to a beach house we rented and 5 after X-mas. I figure about 8 weekends and one week to get the Airstream ready for the road.

I miss CO...haven't been in about 20 years. I plan on getting out there. Hopefully this year if I can get this thing ready and do a closer to home shake down.

It's damn hot here in August....Probably need to head for some elevation cool down before my hell spawn go back to school. Have that Chalet ready And we will head a little north and meet in a campground out there. Go over and Bug Steve, Stephan and TJ /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bet I can Talk Robzilla into coming up for a visit.

I also have to get down to AZ and visit family down there but looking to do that when it's a little cooler. Maybe Thanksgiving break 05. The Lady has a Aunt and cousin there and I have a Grandmother that's getting up there. She has only seen pictures of her great grand babies.

Plus I can bug Rob and Marv and Bill and Bill jr while I'm there. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif