Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Custom Softop With Pictures

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by therobzilla, Aug 19, 2003.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

OK, I don't what to hear any $hit from you guys regarding my sewing abilities, and I'm defently not Martha Stewart, but this what quite a challenge to sew this marine canvas, with our household sewing machine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But anyways it's done, I have been using a cheap plastic tarp, and wanted something a little better and finally decided to give it a shot on my own. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bought the material from the supply shop with the ribbon for reinforcing the sides and front and rear. I used Camping D Rings from an old backpack as tiedowns over the roll cage.

Overall I have 47.00 in total material and about 4 hours of sewing time. Did one evening after work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

It does not flap at all, but it rises some in the front at around 55MPH, I'm going to fix it by adding more velcro straps to the front roll bar.

It's cheap and bottie fabed /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, but it works and keeps the hot #ss sun of my bald head during the day.

Here is one of the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the rest of the pictures:
    Complete Soft Top Pictures

Enjoy
    Rob

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looks awesome nice and clean /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif are you going to add sides to it?

3. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    looks awesome nice and clean /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif are you going to add sides to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    PS: I could use some curtains done for my apartment if you don't mind busting out the sewing machine again. LOL /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Don't be so modest, Martha has nothin on you! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Hey man,only REAL men sew! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I use the wife machine to repair my hockey equipment all the time.
    Looks good by the way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks great!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Hey Rob, Looks really good. How about a set of doors now and maybe some canvas fender skirts?

7. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Great job, I'm impressed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Looks good! From the pics if you wouldn't have said you made it, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Looks good Martha

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Dude you ROCK!
    Hey what the hell is that snorkle thingy for on the top?

11. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

man that looks great can't even tell you made it. I need something like that for my second generation....Jason

12. therobzilla

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude you ROCK!
    Hey what the hell is that snorkle thingy for on the top?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my CB quick disconnect, it's the only place I get any decent reception on the CB, and the only way I can get it under the garage door /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, had to reinforce it to keep it from ripping.

Thanks for the Kudos.

Rob

13. therobzilla

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Hell it only rains here in AZ 4 times a year, and usually it's only for about a day each time, the holes in the floors are much bigger /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif it would not make much diffrence. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I did think about it, but with the spare driveshafts and such, it would have been a real challenge??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhhh OK ...DING the light goes on /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Cool man...oh ya so did you have to use a super heavy needle or what. My wife has a brnd new machine and you may have inspired me to 'think' about making my own also......sure would save alot of $$$$..
    late

15. therobzilla

The sewing thing did bring out female side in me /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, but only for a short amount of time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif....

Really, it was a lot of fun /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, and I was also suprised at how well it turned out. It was something diffrent to try, and I was not going to pay someone to do it.

I wish I could have found some camo canvas to make it out of, it would have looked even better, but WTF, I take it the way it turned out.

Brind it AWN Martha!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. therobzilla

[ QUOTE ]
    Ahhhh OK ...DING the light goes on /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Cool man...oh ya so did you have to use a super heavy needle or what. My wife has a brnd new machine and you may have inspired me to 'think' about making my own also......sure would save alot of $$$$..
    late

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I went to the local sewing store, and got a set of extra heavy duty needles and a new foot for the machine, and got some special UV nylon thread, and it worked fine, when I was sewing on the straps through 3 layers of canvas it was a littel tricky, had to go really slow, the straps are very dense nylon and the needle has a hard time with it if you try to force it, but it worked ok if I went slow. I think I broke 3 needles doing this but they were cheap. Make sure you but about 4 rolls of the thread, and get the good stuff, UV syle, it last longer!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh and don't forge your official Martha Stewart Pin Cushion!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I like it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Concidering who did this it looks pretty damn good.......Martha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The reason the top rises in the front is not air getting under it it's low pressure pocket cause by the wind coming off the windshiled pulling up on it. Same thing that makes planes fly.

All tops will do that to some extent.

19. therobzilla

[ QUOTE ]
    Concidering who did this it looks pretty damn good.......Martha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The reason the top rises in the front is not air getting under it it's low pressure pocket cause by the wind coming off the windshiled pulling up on it. Same thing that makes planes fly.

All tops will do that to some extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Grim, I never knew that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It makes total sense. I am going to add some velcro hold down straps to keep the lift down some, but for the most part it's pretty neat.

Thanks,
    Rob

20. FWP

FWP CRS

That turned out real good man! It's not everybody that knows how to run a sewing machine.... Kudos Dude

How many needles you break /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif