Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer doesnt start need help asap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chvyblzr1977, Apr 12, 2003.

1. chvyblzr1977

chvyblzr1977 Registered Member

Let me try to explain this the best i can i have a 77 blazer that i recently started to restore.One day i had it started and smelled gas so i shut it off and noticed i had a leak in the metal line a couple of pin holes well i also noticed that the guy that had the truck before me used all rubber hose and thats all i had so basically there is 3 to 6 inch of metal line and the rest is all rubber.Now i tried starting the blazer and before i replaced the metal line it ran fine then when i replaced it with rubber it idled really high then would drop and shut off after awhile of that i tried it and now it just cranks and cranks but if you keep pressing the gas it will sound like it wants to start but it wont im really confused on this problem and would like to get to the bottom of it.I was gonna buy a all metal line do you think this would help or no.Thanks to all that help i really appreciate it.
    Thanks again

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

Have you checked your fuel pump are you getting gas to the carb? that is the first place to look. I have an 82 with a combination of rubber and metal lines and it runs and starts just fine. There is not that much pressure on those lines anyway. Try that first let us know what you come up with ...Jason /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

did you use fuel line or heater hose or oil line? if you dont use rubber fuel line, the gas eats away at it...if thats the case, the filter is probably clogged with all the pieces of the hose. If its not the case, i dont know what to tell you.

4. chvyblzr1977

well im gonna try the fuel pump tommorow and look at the fuel filter to now if i dump gas down the carb sometimes it starts could that mean the fuel pump went.

5. neverdone

neverdone Registered Member

If you dump fuel down the carb it should allways start, unless you dump way too much in. Sounds like spark problem.

6. chvyblzr1977

Ok i tried the fuel filter it was kinda dirty but anyways i tried starting it now it ran but i have to keep pumping the gas and it runs really horrible sputtering and stuff and sounds like its gonna die.If i let my foot off the gas it dies immeaditly.anyone know whats going down with this.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Some stuff to check:
    -Timing
    -Plugs, wires and rotor
    -Is the choke plate closing?
    -If you look down the primaries, can you see gas get squirted by the accelerator pump?

8. chvyblzr1977

Ok i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump now if i pump the gas 3 times it starts but you have to keep pumping it to keep it started it also backfires as you keep reving it up if you let your foot off of the gas it just dies.So anyone know what to do now what to check for.THanks

9. bigred17

bigred17 Newbie

You should check your batteryand see if there is any water in it? Your battery might not be giving enough charge. If that is the case also chaeck out your starter and alternator because my truck did the same thing it was because of the battery.

10. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump now if i pump the gas 3 times it starts but you have to keep pumping it to keep it started it also backfires as you keep reving it up if you let your foot off of the gas it just dies.So anyone know what to do now what to check for.THanks

[/ QUOTE ]

To me that sounds like the idle mixture screws are way too rich. Check them. Turning them all the way in, then out 1 1/2 turns each should be sufficient for it to start run and idle. Make sure to check it though once it is warmed up on low idle.

Did it ever run properly scince you had it, has it just started running bad?