Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer down!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Brocky, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I was driving home from the east end today and my brake padel decided to go to the floor. Hmmmm, I wondered as I still barrelled down the road. Pump the break and it started to slow, then came a grinding banging noise. Now I recently done the brakes. Started to question my mechanics skill.... Then I went around a turn and the front ps tire chirped a whole lot. So I got out to examine the obvious stuff. Nothing so I decided to try to drive home taking my time. I went up Mt Sico Road and before I got into them hard turns I decided I should buckle up. First time.... Second time I ever wore a seat belt in the Blazer. Then I said oh well I have my Camera on board so whatever happens I can get a cool pic.... lol.
    So I was getting close to the Girlfriend's parents house and decided this was enough, pull in there and leave it. While after pumping the brakes a few times to slow down for the turn, while you know it I turned only to notice a sound I only get when fully flexed out. My tire was rubbing the fender. So when I got in the GF's driveway I heard all kinds of movement noices up front. I got out to examine and OH MY, the grinding was the rim touching the calipers, maybe why my brakes are funky. My new Warn hubs on the P.S is screw'd, burnt my hand. The spindle nuts backed right off and the wheel bearings are toast. The wheel is on a major slant now.. So my question is before I take it apart, anyone think my spindle is tore up? LMAO Ahhh,broke something, sleep good tonite.

2. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Sounds like a broken axle shaft. had one go on my 74 and going down the interstate at 75 or so :whistle: Right front wheel goes into massive convulsions. Truck is shaking terribly and I coast to a stop on the shoulder. I get out and it looks like all the lugs were loose but they weren't. Called a tow and when he picked up the front end the tire and everything acted like it was gonna fall off.

Glad you made it safe and sound.

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

That is how I purchased my blazer so cheap. Kid just paid 3400.00 for it and took it muddin. The wheel bearings were loose and when he hit a rut the spindle nuts popped two threads off of the spindle. Gave him a grand,went to the junk yard and gave 20.00 for a spindle with nuts been driving every since

Make sure you check those threads. If they are dicked up you either won't be able to tighten the bearings or you will do this all over again.

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Will have to clean it up good tomarrow and she what I have tore up. Anyone have any idea what the part number is for the wheel bearings for 78 k5 10 bolt front axle. NAPA gets them fooled up all the time and I have to get a ride out to get them so I don;t wanna make a lot of trips.

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Well spindle is fine. Warn Hub is toast. I beat on the hub for a few hours until I missed the chisel and almost took my tumb off. It hurts as I am typing. The guts of the hub was fused onto the splines of the stub shaft. But being crafty with the grinder I cut it off without hurting the spline. So now I need new bearings, seal and a new locking hub. But I phoned a buddy today for a hub and he told me where to get another 1 ton rusted out Chevy P/U 4x4 running for $300 bucks. So options are looking better than fixing my axles.

6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Absolutely. You'll just have to move the perches on the 14 bolt. I would jump on that like a hooker on payday.

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Beauty here is no one knows the value of 1 ton axles. I got the last set for free. Everyone rebuilds trucks and leaves them 1/2 ton. FOOLS. Gonna go have a look tomarrow.