Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer experiences... LONG

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mstockton, Apr 25, 2007.

1. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

Hello,

I'm new to the site and all, and I figured I'd share the story of how I got my truck and all thats happened in the short 8 months or so since I've had it, to see who else out there has had similar experiences.

Alright first and foremost, I'm a CAT equipment mechanic (still in training however, only 20 years old). I love my job and I love all things diesel. I had never been able to acquire a diesel vehicle, or a 4x4 for that matter. However, I have been and I'm sure always will be a truck man, my other two trucks are a 2002 Toyota Tundra (Bought with my own money that I earned when I was 16) and a 1959 Ford F500 that my parents got for me as my first project. (Drove that sucker to high school every day I could afford to get 9 mpg :D ). Anyways, I love all things mechanical, and my latest love is why I'm here. Heard about the 6.2 GM diesels a couple of years ago, And last fall my cousin saw one on craigslist. 1982 Blazer 4wd 6.2 700r4 for $700 !!!! I was ecstatic! Called the number, got a seriously shifty sounding dude on the phone named Terrell who couldn't seem to tell me much about the truck other than it was in good shape. Figured it couldn't be for what he was asking for it. But whatever, it was in Vallejo, I was living in Stockton, CA at the time, got my cousin to grab his DD and flatbed and we drove out to look at the thing.

Dear Jesus it was ugly. It was a factory two tone paint job of white with red. "whorehouse" red interior.....everything was red!!! It was a visual assault! And almost all the paint was gone to surface rust. I initially wanted to just cut and run and not even knock on the door, but I did anyways. Got to looking at the truck and realized the underside was completely rust free with all the original paint underneath. And then I saw the rear driveshaft was gone. This guy was driving it around in 4wd. In fact, when I asked him how he could know how well it drove with the rear driveshaft missing, he proceeded to tell me he drove to modesto with it, at 70 MPH on the highway! Whatever, I offered him 500 he settled for 600. We loaded the sucker up on the truck (after driving it around the block, in FWD) Took it to my cousins house, stopping to grab new filters, oils, and a new set of glows, also a new UJoint for the driveshaft, which was sitting in the back. Worked our butts off all night on the the thing, and it ran better, but still smoked like crazy and was still uglier than sin.

Next morning we painted it rustoleum metallic silver, but first primered it after hitting it with a DA sander. SHould have looked good, did all the masking, etc. Except for we had to paint it outside and it was windy. The paint blew away and the mettalic stuck to the spotty primer. Whatever, it was better than rust, even if it looked like a cheap bass boat.
    Then I drove it 120 miles home at night, and alone, after getting the rear driveshaft hooked up and saying my good bye's and thanks to my cousin and his family for putting me up for the weekend. Drove it for a month, got a nasty letter from my apartment manager about the noise (cutting off the mufflers in one of those will get peoples attention :P ) Put on a 6" explorer pro comp lift (dumb decision looking back on it, but oh well, went cheap) 35 bfgoodrich muds, and went out and wheeled my truck the for the first time, and almost rolled it. Headed down a steep descent that was DEEPLY rutted...ended up balancing on two wheels. PS Front crammed into the fenderwell, DS front hanging in space. DS rear stuff, PS rear hanging, as i leaned my head out the window to look at my front tire, the truck rocks forward, then back as i *quickly* withdraw my head from the window. Sweet!

Then drove it 280 miles to my folks house here in Bakersfield, then up to my families ranch here with my mechanic buddy to do some pig hunting. When we get to the ranch, 1 mile short of the trailer we are staying in, it starts bucking and stalling on the dirt road. Chit.

5 months later and I'm finishing up a total rebuild of the engine, done entirely by me, no machine shop whatsoever, just the support and advice of my coworkers, who are all much wiser and more experienced than I (Thanks to my co workers at Quinn Co, bakersfield california, machine shop). Got the engine back into the truck in January this year, then in a week, my transfer case starts going to hell on me, so I rebuild it, then a few weeks later, one of my calipers goes out and i find out that the rears aren't working either, and braking on one wheel alone is a scary experience. Rebuild the front end, repack bearings, all new brakes,
    turned rotors, etc. Then I have to get the d/s rebuilt, (the only thing I have ever had another human being touch on this truck since I've owned it). THen i destroyed my gov-lok and found out the the bearings are shot too. Since I do light wheeling mostly these days, and can't afford 550 bucks for a detroit, I bought another slightly used gov lok. Going to install it as soon as i can afford the bearing kit. Now the only mechanical running gear parts left are the front diff and trans. The front diff is excellent. I doubt previous owners hardly ever used it, the gears still had the machining marks on the faces! But now I'm going to swap out the 700r4 for an SM465 because I haven't been trained to rebuild slushboxes yet and also don't want the thing dying on me randomly in the middle of nowhere. The engine is running like a top and is coming up on 4 grand on the rebuild. And even with a trashed rear diff, the girl is still taking me around daily, just not out of town for now.

All this in 8 months of ownership and no hard wheeling. Lord I must be crazy, but I love it.

Anyone else have stories like this?

Right now I'm also fabbing up rock sliders too.
    Also try to get some pics to amend this thing with, whats the easiest way to post pics?

-Martin

PS, discovered last owner was a crackhead. Some paraphanlia in the truck. And as the guy I bought it from wasn't the owner, but had signed paperwork and said he was "selling it for a friend", and firmly held to 600, I think he was getting bail money together, but thats just my thinking thus far. Also absolutely no service records from previous owner, first owner great records. Also my blazer is a sierra with about every option you could get, with a name plaque on the dash that reads "Limited Edition 1982 Chevrolet Blazer especially built for Norman E. Kinsey"

Hats off to you Norm...I like your truck :bow:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  2. mstockton

Oh and getting 20 mpg in a full size lifted 4x4 kicks serious a$$. I love diesel.

3. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

Great Storys. Welcome to the site!

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

Nice crackpipes man!

5. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Great story and welcome.

Oh, and if you think the red interior is bad on a Blazer you should see it in a Burb - you get a few more feet of it. :crazy:

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

all thats left of what I bought originally is the frame, trans, and front clip.

I bought my truck for $1900 and it only took me 1 year to lift it, blow up the motor, swap in a new one along with 3/4 ton axles and more lift. only to have my brother catch it on fire. so new cab, more lift, dana 60 and 44's. won't be long before its a cab, frame and couple hundred feet of tubing.:rolleyes:

your doing a lot better then some. I never got more then 10 mpg and now get about 0.7 mpg, but its a trail only.

7. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Good story. Sounds like you are a hard working kinda guy.

One question though, do you know if you legally own the vehicle you just put all that work into?

:confused:

Please make sure you do before Norms "family" comes and tries to recover their possibly stolen vehicle.

Note: if you do legally own it (read: title), please disregard above mentioned information and questions.

Welcome to the board.

TBB

8. mstockton

Yea, I was sort of nervous when I went to the DMV. The pink slip was signed and handed over to me, except he didn't even bother to fill the rest of information in, like sale price, I had to do it. But when it got transferred to my name everything went through ok, and I paid my first year on it last month, so here's to hoping ;).

And the items I found in the truck were spark plug electrodes, lots of 'em. I didn't know this, but at least in the bay area of california, lots of motorcycle spark plugs are stolen (easy access) and supposedly make great crack pipes. You break off the electrode off the top, then push the wire electrode through the top (supposedly) then you have a ceramic pipe with a prong to hold your crack. I thought it was fairly inventive, although all in the name of illegal activity.

I fail to see why else a diesel truck would have broken off spark plugs inside, lots of them. And the interior reeked of pot. I did search the truck after I got it to make sure there wasn't a forgotten stash somewhere...would be kind of hard to get a cop to believe you when you say "I SWEAR its not mine!!" or "I honestly don't know where that came from officer..."

NOTE: I do not endorse illegal or dangerous activities such as illicit drug use, nor do I partake in them myself, I merely relayed this bit of information as entertainment only.

-Martin

9. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

Nice Story. I don't know if I can do that good, but not more than 16 hours after purchasing my 86 K5, I hit a dip after some railroad tracks and had the front driver's side wheel come off. Crunched the fender up (No worries....gonna be a rock slapper) needed new wheel bearing, rotor, studs, spacer, and brake pad, but other than that we were good. I was laughing afterwards....I was just stoked it didn't happen on the freeway because I probably wouldn't be here right now.

10. TexasBlazerBoy

Good to hear that you own it. Ya you got watch out for spark plugs:p: :D

11. TexasBlazerBoy

Not a bad story, it could have turned out worse like you were saying.

Welcome to the board.

TBB

12. SOR K5

SOR K5 Registered Member

Hey thanks. I've never come across as much help and advice as I have on this board....Awesome

13. mstockton

Here's some pics, I think... Give this a try

DSCF2056.JPG

DSCF2058.JPG

091706_23521.jpg

14. gmc4cw

the last pic almost makes it look like bare metal. I like it.:waytogo:

15. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

That is cool - we can call it "crack pipe gray". :haha:

16. TexasBlazerBoy

x2.:D

17. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha:

Nice work on the paint, though. That is a real improvement.

18. gmc4cw

I now dub thee Crack Pipe. arise sir Crack Pipe.

sometimes its easy to name a truck.:D

19. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Its labeled....crack pipe gray dude.:haha: :haha:

20. mstockton

:bow: I am shocked and in awe of you...crack pipe it is then :bow:

Damn that was easy