Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Fan, Offroad Newbies. Advice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burzum, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Burzum

Burzum Newbie

Hey all,

Ive been riding a 1995 4Runner stock for some month, and i started to do some light offroad with it, and unfortunatly i had a total lost car accident.

Now im searching for a old Blazer, 80-85 around, witch i would Lift suspension,
    but im not sure with the Body Lift, since it dont help with clearance and add a Higher gravity center.

I Think i would do a 6 inch suspension lift, and perhaps a 3 inch lift, and cut the wings, to be abble to put some nice 39 inch.

A question that i searching an answer is;
    - In Canada, (Montreal), What is the Tire Height limit? Is there any Limit?
    Is the Huge grip on big good tire for offroad are Illegal Onroad?

I wish to Modify a Blazer the most Offroad i could, But it have to be legal Onstreet, In Montreal.

I would like any answer, any advice, since im New in offroad, and every aspect and perception would be a future good knowledge for me.

Thanks All for you time reading my Message!

Carpe Diem!

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry I can't help you directly, but maybe someone that can will help you out.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Call your local police station they will be able to tell you the regs and if you don't mind trimming the fenders and moving the axles with zero rates or any other way you deem suitable then 39s on 6" suspension is no problem

4. Burzum

Burzum Newbie

Awesome, Thanks.
    I would like 6 inch suspention lift without body lift anyway hehe
    and i dont mind trimming the fender.

But does a 3 inch body lift would help?? or its useless...
    Does it would give me more clearance?
    I figure out that only the tire size affect the Diffs clearance..

Im already looking foward how big tire they will let me ride! lol i hope its more than 35 inch!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Any tire with the DOT stamp on it is 'legal'. So, you could run 44's or even larger if you wanted. In BC they do have bumper height limits, as well as maximum headlight height. You also cannot have the tires sticking out past the body, and you have to rum mudflaps. :rolleyes:

Technically once you lift the truck more than 4" you are required to get it inspected too.

The reality is not many people pay too much attention to that. My tires stick out, I have more than 4" of lift and don't run mudflaps and I run 39.5's. I also drive sanely and have never been bothered by the police so far (knock on wood)

Body lift is OK if it's an inch or maybe two. It doesn't raise the center of gravity as much as a suspension lift does and can help get the last little bit of clearance you need. I run a 1" BL on my truck. Taller body lifts can put more leverage on the body mounts though.

Rene