Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer finally started, solenoid question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mudfanatic, Oct 20, 2000.

1. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I just finished my remore solenoid system, started the rig and the solenoid on the starter hung up. It shuts off after about 10 seconds but makes a heck of a racket until it does, did I wait too long to do the relocation? is the solenoid on the starter shot bad enough that it won't retract the starter gear after the engine has started or did I do something wrong, I'll post the diagram tonight or tomorrow that I used to do the relocation.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Re: Blazer finally started, solenoid ?

You should only have one wire going to the starter and thats the big one. The small wire(s) should be on the remote solonoid on the correct terminal. Did you buy Summits or make your own? The starter should act as it did before,

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I pieced together my own and yes the ignition wire goes to the solenoid on the fender, the battery wire goes to the solenoid on the fender with the alternator wire, then off hte other side of that solenoid the 4 gage wire goes down to the main solenoed lead on the starter with a jumper that attaches the main solenoid lead to the small lead on the original solenoid(where the ignition wire used to hook to.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. Shawn

Well it sounds like you have it hooked up correctly. I don't see how your starter keeps running for 10 seconds. You should have 0 volts going to the starter after you release the keys. I don't know if this helps but here's a pic of mine. The battery wires are on the left and the starter wire is on the right. The starter wire is on the smaller left post.

[​IMG]

You might want to check the jumper at the starter. Thats the only thing I like about Summits kit is they provide a formed piece of copper that acts as a jumper.

I haven't had any problems with mine.

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Is that a Hellroaring isolater I see?How do you like it.I have one and love it. Works great for extended winching.I also have a remote solenoid.The whole starting circut was rewired with 2 gauge welding cable when I put in the Hellroaring isolater.Well worth the money.

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

6. Shawn