Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Frame.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Sep 9, 2000.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I just purchased a "rolling chassis" from a 82 Blazer so the guy said. But I think it's newer.. How can I tell? It had "key word HAD" a heat sheild on it.. and it has a NP261 xfer case on it.. I'm not sure if the 261 was stock for that year.. My original 82 has a cast iron xfer case..Anyone have any idea how to tell what year FRAME I might have.? Thanks for all help.

It's better to have it than to not need it, then to need it and not have it. !!!

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Do you mean an NP241 t-case? I've never heard of a 261 before. The easiest way to tell is to see if you can find a VIN number on the frame and then decode it.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

The metal plate on the Tcase says it's a np261. It's a little rough, but the numbers are indented into the tag. I'll check again.. It was getting dark when the guy delivered our new frame. The frame looks too new to be a 82.. Do you have any decoding info on Frames? Thanks.

It's better to have it than to not need it, then to need it and not have it. !!!

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Check the frame rails up where the front bumper should be(or still might be) if its angled back the frame is later than 77. Square cut before. as far as the 261 or 241 can't help you all my stuff is 83 and older, good luck

White Knight

5. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

The frame rail is stamped with the date that it was built on (the frame that is). It should be directly under the drivers side door. It will be printed upside down in day, month, year type layout. It will be under all types of crud and paint so you`ll want a wire wheel to look for it. This is where I have seen most all C/K frames stamped. With a few million of them on the road though, you never can tell for sure where it will be.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Regarding the transfer case, Chev has a 231 and a 241, and Ford has a 271, but I've never heard of a 261 either........

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK the only transfer cases used in the K5's were : NP203 (73-79) NP205 (various years with manual tranny, 1980 exclusively) NP 208 (1981-1987?) NP241 (1987-1991) NP 261 does not exist. If your case is a NP241 it is either swapped in (Why?) or the frame is newer than '83.

Rene (not too sure on when they changed to the 241)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

FYI, Rene, Chev changed to the 241 in 1988.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks Canmore I could'nt remember if it was 87 or 88. But I knew it was around there somewhere. LOL [​IMG]

Rene (still learning K5 stuff every day!)

[​IMG]

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected .. and thanks for all your input. The tcase is a NP208 Aluminum one. How durable are these? Just curious.. This frame rocks !!!!

It's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it !