Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer fulltime 4wd conversion to part time 4wd????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by robbieyukon, Jun 19, 2004.

1. robbieyukon

robbieyukon Registered Member

anybody know about the kits from milemarker? i know that my 76 k5 has the np203 fulltime. i would like to have hubs so i can save gas and stress on the truck.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thats it grim? come on at least try to help the guy! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Nice write up very good, as yours always are! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

If the full time drive allows the front tires to spin at thier own rate until they are slower than the rears in which case they begin pulling. Then why would there be additional wear and tear on the truck?

I have a 73 k5- The hubs have no visible locking mechanisms so I assume it is full time 4wd? (It went from a farm house straight to garage for tear down)What advantages or dis to each?
    Fred /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

in non-loc positions the fornt and rear differentiate to with each othjer yes, but in either of the two loc positions the axles are locked in and spin the same RPMs

good luck

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I think there is more bais to the front , so the front
    will be pulling just a little more then the back-end pushing. Also look at oem tire presusre front vs. rear,
    as well as front and rear diff. ratios. You got to look at the whole picture, not just the NP 203.

[ QUOTE ]
    If the full time drive allows the front tires to spin at thier own rate until they are slower than the rears in which case they begin pulling. Then why would there be additional wear and tear on the truck?

I have a 73 k5- The hubs have no visible locking mechanisms so I assume it is full time 4wd? (It went from a farm house straight to garage for tear down)What advantages or dis to each?
    Fred /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The NP203 has an open differential in it which is biased towards which ever axle has the least traction/resistance. It isnt biased more towards the front. I like the idea of keeping the all wheel drive for winter driving but would like to see a limited slip conversion for the 203 to help with traction.

But for offroad use a used NP205 would be a better tcase and cost about the same as a full shaft part time conversion for a NP203.