Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Hard-Half-Top... You remember this Ronnie?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave_S, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

Ronnie, if you're out there.. you warned me.

I bought this top from Ronnie a few years ago and haven't really been motivated to work on it. I finally got tired of it laying around and decided to do some work. This is a top that Ronnie chopped and channeled then pieced back together. Basically, he pulled the window out... and shortened it accordingly.

Unfortunately, Ronnie didn't seem to have the patience with fiberglass work that was necessary. He warned me and I should have listened.

Basically, I've started on the left rear quarter. It was badly deformed around the seam and had mounds of resin all over the place. A few hours with a disc sander showed that I was going to have to do a tad bit more than just touch up work.

http://www.dbstaines.com/images/HalfTop-Left.GIF

Anyways.. I'll keep you up to date on things as they progress.

Take Care,

Dave

2. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Looks good so far. I have done a similar thing ( just hacked the front of the roof from the back but I didn't even think of attaching the rear of the roof to it. Too bad now, I just got rid of the rest of the roof a few weeks ago. I guess mine will stay open in the back. Good luck with the porject and definitely keep us posted!

Rod

In Canada we use K5s instead of dog sleds now!

3. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

Extremely cool. I mean really, how cool would it be to be able to turn around and open the rear hatch from the driver's seat! The "chop" looks like it's aligned perfectly for the curve of the top. Your fiberglass resto job looks really great.

What materials are you using to finish it? Are you using basic off the shelf resin? Filler? Sealer? Planning on re-texturing or going with a smoothed finish? Is it a single or double wall top? More!

4. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

The top is a double wall top. I do believe this may have been easier to do the finish work on if it had been a single wall top, though a double wall may be a bit more solid when done.

The mating wasn't done by me... it was done by the person I bought the top from. Basically, he cut the window section out and then overlapped the front and back and riveted them together. Then he applied a healthy layer of resin with fiber mixed in. The alignment on the left side is much better than the right... but I'm still working on that.

I haven't decided how to finish it. I believe I'll go with a smooth finish and try to re-attatch a hatch to it. I recieved it with the hatch connection covered over. The ultimate plan is to have a bed cover for the portion behind the top... with a hatch closing down on the edge of it. But, that is a few years off. If I go with the bed cover, they are usually smooth and the top would be made to match. If I do not, I'll probably not texture it but instead go with a non-glossy finish.

Dave

5. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Hey Dave! I was thinking about that top just the other day - wondering if it ever saw the light of day. I haven't been "doing" the Blazer thing much for a while (bought a '77 Vette about a year ago) - but have been fixing some cracks in my hard top to get it back on after retiring my soft top. Yep, you guessed it - still not all that fond of fiberglass work, but the top looked so sad sitting in the backyard all cracked and forgotten. I've got new door seals, front window seals, drag links, a set of late model Chevy (new take-out) van seats, and a set of 3 point seat belts coming to help me get the Blazer ready for winter driving.

Any newer pics of the top - maybe even on the truck? I was cleaning up the other day and ran across the pics I had taken.

'72 Blazer mostly stock original "Baby Poop" yellow color