Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer Hates Cold Weather!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SAVAGE1, Nov 27, 2000.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Took the Blazer to the snow for the first time. When it was time to leave in the morning the Beast wouldn't wake up. I started it up fine but it sounded kinda sluggish. I gave it some gas but the engine didn't respond. Eventually it cut off and wouldn't start again. I smelled lots of fuel so I figured the engine was flooded. I let it sit for 3 hours. That didn't work so I got towed to the gas station. I guess the ride shook things up and the mechanic started it up fine. Flames were shooting from the exhaust!! I wish I had camera. I want to know how to prevent this in the future. It's an 85 w/carb.

BLAZE IT UP!!!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like classic carb freeze-up symptoms- Mine had similar problems until I got all the warm-up equipment running properly. If you have a thermovalve in your air cleaner neck, make sure it's hooked up to vacuum and working properly. It should be closed at start-up to divert hot air from the exhaust up and into the air cleaner assembly to keep the carb from freezing up. Once the truck warms up to a comfortable operating temperature, the valve will open up and allow fresh air in. If the factory aircleaner has been removed and replaced with something else, the only option I can see is to get one from the dealer or a wrecker.

The hot air is transported from the front of the passenger exhaust manifold to the aircleaner by a stovepipe. If you have headers you won't have this in place. If the stovepipe is there, make sure it is tightly installed on both ends and isn't crimped or cracked.

There should also be a valve on your passenger exhaust manifold where it meets the pipe. I believe it's called the EFE valve(?). This valve runs on vacuum as well and closes when the motor is cold to force warm exhaust back through the engine to aid in warm up. It's not as critical as your air cleaner valve, but in extreme cold you should probably make sure it works.

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I checked that stovepipe thingy and it was kinda crimped and wasn't hooked up all the way. Any special instructions on starting it up. The mechanic said to mash the pedal all the way down instead of pumping it. Supposedly keeping the pedal down maintains a constant fuel pressure while pumping will overflow the engine. Does this make sense?

BLAZE IT UP!!!

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You shouldn't do either, as far as I'm concerned. All you should have to do is press the gas pedal all the way to the floor ONCE(or sometimes twice in really cold weather), let the pedal fully off, and turn the key. The initial pump is to set the choke. From there, if your carb is setup properly, the motor should kick into high idle and run like that until

a. the EGR valves kicks in and lowers the idle

or b. you kick her down manually by pressing the gas pedal after she warms up

Even though the stovepipe is hooked up, your thermovalve still might not work. Unhook your 4" fresh air duct from the front of your aircleaner and look inside at the valve with a flashlight. If the valve is working properly, it should be shut after the truck is started. To check if it works, pull off the top of the air cleaner and heat up the small white heat sensor on the bottom inside of the air cleaner with a hairdryer. The valve should open up after a little while once the sensor reaches operating temperature.

If the valve isn't working it means that it's not hooked up to vacuum preoperly.......

5. LAZYMON

LAZYMON 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You only push the pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there if it is already flooded. If everything is working properly it shouldn't flood. I don't have any of the cold weather warm up equipment on mine, but it's not a daily driver so I just start it and let it warm up. Things that help mine start up are
    Fresh platinum plugs
    High output coil
    8.8mm wires
    High cold-cranking battery rating
    Fast Idle set high on the choke
    But the coldest it gets around here is in the teens. Any colder and I might have to head south.
    PRAY FOR SNOW!

Topless73

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I might have to test out your advice when I head up to Tahoe this weekend again. I hear its gonna snow on Thursday... WOOHOOO!!

BLAZE IT UP!!!

7. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

i dont know if you are willing to spend some cash on it,or if you have emissions to pass but i just installed a edelbrock 1406 on mine and pulled the egr valve.mine hated anything under 45 degrees.now i have no problem at all,mine was doing the exact same thing,the carb help 100%

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've also got the Edelbrock 1406. I give it a half pump and turn the key, in warm weather I just give the pedal a little tap. With this carb my truck has always started very easy. I also have an open element and headers.
    As far as flooding goes, if you ever do that again, hold the pedal down to the floor while cranking it until it starts and then let it up slowly as the engine evens out. Holding it wide open will allow more air into the cylinders to compensate for all the fuel in there.

Rene

[​IMG]