Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer headaches

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Sep 23, 2001.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Well went to chilifest this weekend here in Lubbock put on by one of the frats, laketex made it out to enjoy the festivites. Well had an interesting day. Have spent the last 2-3 weeks working hard on the ugly orange all for this one weekend. Well all I can say is it was awesome, the looks, the comments, and man do the women love this truck. Anyway the sorry part.......about noon or so was driving to the gate and lost the u-joint on the rear shaft, so removed the shaft and walked her back in 4hi with the front hubs locked in and took it pretty easy. Well had a good day and then on the trip back to the apartment, (pulling a smoker, but it wasn't heavy at all) I'm assuming the transfer case had gone out on me. makes a terrible grinding noise and dosen't go anywhere.
    I can put it in park and put it in 4 low, put it in gear and the grinding commenses, neutral on the transfer case gets a chatter like gears rubbing. Any ideas? First thought is maybe no oil in the case, as the cause? Previous owner said they went thru it to check it out. What's the best way to pull it out of the truck, just the transfer case or it and the tranny?

thanks guys, will post some pics as soon as I get the chance

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

2. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Had the similar noises, mine was the clutch hub in the tranny. If you have a 205, this is likely the problem, not the case, check the oil in you transfer case, if its clean, no metal deposits, it likely your tranny. Good luck!

Drive it Like You Hate It!

3. 72GMCJIMMY

72GMCJIMMY 1/2 ton status

Did you check the shift linkage to make sure it is engaging all the way?

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

looked the likage on the transfer case, looks solid, cause it has one pivot and 2 pushrods that slide into the case to (205). I may check that deal on the tranny, guess that means I have to pull both to do that correct? if so any tips?

Like em big and topless

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

6. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

Clicky

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/21907326MnytDOksfd
    >http://community.webshots.com/album/21907326MnytDOksfd
    </a>

See Ya

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

That transfer case is HEAVY. Pull it off of the tranny, then pull the tranny down if you want to.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

cool album....the weekend rocked. Did you get anywhere figuring out what was wrong with your case?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

working on pulling it all now, guy looked at it yesterday and it could be both messed up, sprag in tranny is messed up pretty sure cause it doesn't surge when put in drive but it does in 1st and reverse. and when you put it in park it is still trying to spin, so I've got the bellhousing and plate unbolted I'm fixing to go up and do the back today, it's got a lot more bolts on the crossmember than yours did. got like 6-8 bolts on the crossmember to frame connection. give me a call if ya want I may have some insight to your fuel cell delima

Like em big and topless

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

get the hardened sprag next time, they're only about 20 bucks more and it's the first thing that goes out on the TH350s usually.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>