Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer is fine but C-10 won't start (I'm Stumped)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Jun 18, 2002.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Blazer is fine but C-10 won\'t start (I\'m Stumped)

I have a 85 c-10 with 350 Th350 all pretty much original. My brother has been driving it and yesterday it just died on him while he was going down the road...he was able to coast into a nearby parking lot. No smoke, no rough idling or anything just died. I towed it home and checked it out. Has a new alternator, replaced the ign. module tonight with no luck. The battery is dead from trying to turn it over and over and over. (Recharging right now). Its getting fuel to the carb which would seem like it would atleast turn over then die if it were the fuel filter or pump. Cap and rotor look fine. Pulled a spark plug looks a little white (lean on gas if I remember correctly) Just stumped...where to look next? The starter is engaging to the flywheel just won't turn over.

Oh yeah...Look at me I'm orange /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

Re: Blazer is fine but C-10 won\'t start (I\'m Stumped)

are the plugs getting spark though the wires.try pulling a wire and grounding it about 1/2 an inch to the block to see if there is spark..if hei check the spring deal under the coil to see if its burnt out.when i put my accel super coil on the same thing happened to mine.i had to get a high perfomance one to handle the voltage.

3. BowtieBlazer

I wanted to try that but will I be able to see a spark with the boot covering the open end of the wire? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Maybe I'll try the screwdriver in the end of the boot and close to the boot

4. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The starter is engaging to the flywheel just won't turn over.

[/ QUOTE ] </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The battery is dead from trying to turn it over and over and over

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it turning over or not?

If it IS turning over...

Look down the carb and open the throttle to see if fuel sprays into the venturis. If it does, you probably have an ignition/electrical problem. If not, you're probably got a carb/fuel problem.

Is that one of those computer controlled carb abominations?

5. BowtieBlazer

being that it was a computer controlled 305 originally and most of it is by passed when the 350 was dropped in not really any more. It is turning just not firing.

I just confirmed by dumping what little juice I had charged into it seeing if I could get a spark....No spark /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Okay HEI and Points....never was positively sure ofwhich I had and the difference between the two. Prettry sure I have HEI being that its newer stuff

6. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

make sure your getting 12volts to the coil. This stumped me forever when something similar happend to my 78 k20. Jesse

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

There are 2 main kinds of HEI, the internal coil and the external coil. Internal coil is the BIG cap, external coil has a small cap and body with a coil wire. You can easily tell if it has points by looking at the cap to see if it has a little square "door" in the side. If it has the door it's points, if it's smooth all around it is HEI. If it's points, take it out and go buy an HEI internal coil distributor from a junkyard for $50. There are also the computer timing controlled HEI units, I'll assume you don't have one of those. They have a big connector on the side.

Check for spark by putting a smallish screwdriver into the end of a plug wire and setting the screwdriver on the valvecover or air cleaner. Don't let the metal on the screwdriver touch any other metal, but try to set it so that it's metal shaft is close to a grounded metal part of the engine. Crank it over and you should see sparks.

If it just died with no warning at all (and you've changed out the control module already), it's probably a broken wire or switch somewhere. Use a voltmeter to check for 10 volts or more at the "bat" terminal on the HEI. If it's less than 10V or you don't have a voltmeter, you could try to hotwire the HEI and see if it will start. Hook a wire from the positive side of the battery to the "bat" terminal on the HEI. You will have to disconnect this wire to shut the engine off...

If you're getting your voltage to the HEI, and it won't spark, take the cap off. Remove the coil cover and look for a broken coil wire. Look at the bottom of the cap and make sure the carbon button there is still OK. Look at the distributor for broken wires. Look for broken connectors at the control module. If you don't see anything obvious and are not getting spark even though you have good voltage going to it, go buy another distributor from the junkyard for $50. Later you can figure out what was wrong with your old one and keep it for a spare, which everyone should have anyway.

8. BowtieBlazer

No coil wire...have the big cap....popped the cover and the coil and coil wires inside looked fine. Will check with a volt meter for power at the coil on the positive side.

Thanks for the detailed explaination! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

try putting a nail in the end of the wire in between the boot and wire end and hold close close to block to ground out.then have someone turn engine over until you get or dont get spark. just watch your hands as a spark can jump tp ypu if your hand is close enuf.that'll wake you up.at least you know then yoy have spark.lol /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Replace the Ignition Module. $20.00 at NAPA or other Parts Stores.

11. BowtieBlazer

Re: Blazer is fine but C-10 won\'t start (I\'m Stumped)**UPDATED**

Okay so I charged the battery overnight. Just checked for a spark while turning it over...NOTHING! Next question of concern. I replaced the module yesterday as suggested. One side of it was marked with a G on one prong and a W on the other which matched up with the green and white wires on the distributor. On the other side of the module its had a B and a C but I have a brown and yellow wire. I hooked the brown to the B and the yellow to the C is this right? Seems like it used to have the yellow hooked to the B and brown to the C...??? Need guidance here

Should be off of work tomorrow will look around and check voltages at the coil tomorrow....seems more and more like the whole distributor has gone bad.

Iused to run MSD on this truck about a year ago...ran fine even when I pulled it off...could this have screwed anything?