Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer is smoking, what do I do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Sep 8, 2002.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

the white smoke coming from my blazer is getting worse, it used to only puff out a little when i reved it, now it smokes even at idle. its not much but i can see it. also, i felt the bottom of my exhaust tip and its damp. I'm pretty sure i blew a head gasket. Am I right? Also, I don't have another vehicle so am I safe to drive it (until next weekend) to school which is about 3 miles away or will I really screw up the engine? I just wanted to know if it is definitely the head gasket before I tear down the whole engine.

2. RedneckK5

RedneckK5 Registered Member

have you been having to add coolant ro your radiator. if your blowin water out the exhaust your radiator should be getting low.

3. BayouBlazer88

i checked the fluid this morning, it seems to be the same, but could that just be oil going in place of the coolant?

4. RedneckK5

could check to make sure you have no coolant in the oil. does'nt really sound like a head gasket to me. do you have the tools to do a cylinder leak down test.

5. BayouBlazer88

no i dont have the tools to do a cylinder leak down test nor know what one is (I'm a home mechanic in training). if it isnt the head gasket then what else could it be? is it normal for a 123k mile engine to blow the stock head gaskets?

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Something's not right here. You say that the smoke is white but you're not losing any coolant. That doesn't add up. Are you sure the smoke is white and not really light blue?

7. BayouBlazer88

i'm not sure exactly what color it is because it is very slight, but it appears white. I take back what I said about the coolant level though. so anyway, if liquid is coming out of the tail pipe, what else could it be besides the head gaskets?

8. sxrxnrr

sxrxnrr Registered Member

If you got an auto, sounds like you blew the a hole in the vacuum mod. It causes you to suck up and burn tranny fluid, its very white. That is unless you got a 700. doesnt unburned fuel appear white also???

9. RedneckK5

if you are convinced that you are loosing coolant and it is blowing out the exhaust it could be several different things. could be a leaking intake manifold gasket causing water to go into the intake ports. Could also be a cracked block. is there any water in your oil?

10. BayouBlazer88

to sxrxnrr-> yeah i have a 700 auto trans, so could it still be the vacuum mod?

to RedNeckK5-> how do I know if there is water in my oil? are there any specific ways to check that?

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Check your oil fill cap or the neck of your oil fill tube. If you have a leak it will form a kind of gunk that looks like curdled chocolate milk. That gunk is a sure sign that coolant is mixing with the oil somehow.

No, if you have a 700r4 you don't have a vacuum modulator.

12. BayouBlazer88

Ok, I checked the oil and it looks fine. no coolant in there. checked the coolant as well, looks good however it is low which means i am definitely burning coolant. can anyone help me narrow it down now?