Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer item

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by urone, May 16, 2002.

1. urone

urone Newbie

Okay K5ers, I'm looking for a fiberglass cover to replace the stock cap on my '86 K-5. This cover will make the Blazer look like a short bed truck cause it will have a rear window and a will look like it has a tonnue cover. This should be a one peice item and use the same bolt holes that are in the Blazer. Does anyone know of or seen such a cover like this and are they still made. I've seen one here in Erie, Pa. and thought it was an after market item. Let me know by posting what you all know here. Great site!!!!!

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.SkylerCorp.com>www.SkylerCorp.com</a>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

He is actually talking about a hard style cover. That would be cool looking, and it wouldnt wear out near as fast as a soft top. Here in AZ soft tops dont last long witht he heat.

Dan

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I've seen those for the first generation Blazers, but not for the 2nd generation Blazers....from what I understand, they where hard to find back then, let alone now...
    there was a post on the 69-72 section a while back, and it seems like one of the members here has a first gen. with the half top...but I don't think it covered the rear, just behind the ccab and that's it (they also had some for Internationals like this)

that soft top from Skyler is the closest thing to looking like that that I have seen

here is a link to some pictures of a half top : click on the 'blazer' pics:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/tljohnsonjr

5. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

I wonder if one of these hard top manufacturers would make 'em if they received enough requests. You do realize the tops will be perty spendy.

6. MEM

MEM Registered Member

I recently saw a thread on the board about someone who took a fullsized fiberglass top and cut it along the outer perimeter. He left about three inches of the top, this way it could be used to connect to the original mounting locations of the top to body engagement. He then streched vinyl material across the oppening and attached to the fiberglass rim with snaps. On the tailgate he drilled holes into the tailgate and attached the snaps there. The top looked alot like the soft top from Skyler.

I guess you can take his idea further and do what he did with the vinyl but instead use fiberglass. I would probably recruit someone with fiberglass experience, maybe go to the local marine yard. I'm not sure what to do with the area where the fiberglass would meet the tailgate. And how would you fabricate an oppening for the window? Maybe installing a clear sunroof?

Just ideas in my head...

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Maybe you could take a fiberglass tono. for a short bed chevy and cut it down for that part. And like he said above cut a top for the area where the rear window will go and have some one good with glass finish it for you. That would give you a hinged way to get into the bed area.