Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer/Jeep owner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 454Blazer, Nov 11, 2000.

1. 454Blazer

454Blazer Registered Member

Ok, so I'm thinkin Jeeps aren't liked here too much. I've been reading through the posts and am amazed at the hostility. I own both, and really like both. We bought the Blazer about 2 months ago and swapped in a 14 bolt ff added disks to the rear, converted the 10 bolt to 8 lug, lifted it 6" and swapped in a 454 (WHAT A DIFFERENCE THE ENGINE MADE).

I can see where each has advantages. I'm sure everyone here that's taken their rig out has met up with arrogant people who believe whatever they have is the best, heck in Jeep circles guys that pay hi dollar for everything look down at us folks that make as much as possible for themselves to cut costs. This blazer is my first Chevy and I'm amazed at the interchangability of parts, swaps are not supposed to be this easy! :)

Anyway Happy wheeling and if you see a Big Wide green Jeep with the license plate "Snarrl"...I'm not the enemy! :)

I hope this post doesn't get under anyone's skin.

http://www.nmia.com/~miker

2. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

i personally have nothing against jeeps.i have owned one before my k5,but it was my daily driver,i loved my jeep in the summer time.but hated it come winter.its really cramped in there when the top and doors are on.any way thats just my opinion.

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Also a Jeep/Jimmy owner, we have a Cherokee Limited. It makes a great grocery getter/family hauler [​IMG]. Of course I leave the 4x4 duties to the real truck in the family, my 81 Jimmy [​IMG]. Just bugging ya, I've wheeled with lots of guys and their Jeeps, they seem to be quite capable. Of course I think its mostly driver.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Welcome to Blazer land. I have two blazers.. and one day I'd like to have a older CJ-7 or scrambler. Those were the best jeeps made.

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have no problem with Jeeps I have a problem with owners that say anything else is unworthy/ uncapable of being on the trail. I run with a very diverse Club. We have a little bit of every thing. We have of course just about every different jeep made including a flat fenders 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's, Tj's, Yj's, XJ's, D90 and Disco Rover, Several FJ40's, Fj60, Toy trucks (just got back from swapping a cab on my buds that rolled 2 weeks ago...see my scary pics), Ford Bronco's Big and Small, Gm Trucks, S15 Jimmy (about 2 weeks from getting a solid front axle), Sub's, Jimmy's and Blazers. We even have a Trooper that runs Helicopter pad!
    My problem is when some fool jeep owner downs another brand then hops in his GM 350 powered Jeep with axle donated for GM and tells me my truck is weak. Hell even stock Jeeps have GM sourced ignition switches and the old I6 is derived from a Ford I6. Thats the problem I have. If I ever roach my body I have tossed around cutting and sectioning a Scrambler body to fit on my K5 frame. Hope that day never comes but it's a hell of a lot easier to find a Scrambler body in good shape than it is to find a decent 73-75 K5 body.
    I think that most would have the same attitude but it's easier to just direct our anger at a general term of Jeep than to clarify that it's a select group of owners.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>I've said it before and I'll say it again..........." Most jeeps have Chevy 350's under the hood and Chevy parts all over them, if they suck so bad then why do you guys have to use them ? "</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

<font color=blue>" Deep ?........Is doesn't look that deep. "</font color=blue>

7. 454Blazer

454Blazer Registered Member

Most have chevy 350's? I've seen one in person with a 350. I have also seen one with a Ford 302. The V-8 Jeeps I've seen are 340's that came with that engine. Mine is a 4.0 straight 6. My jeep has no Chevy parts but does have fullsize ford axles, a 9" and a 44. Nothing against chevy parts at all, but I needed the ford side pumpkin in the front.

I'll tell ya though...after putting the 454 in the Blazer, I now want one in my Jeep... :)

8. tRustyK5

About 80% of Jeeps I've seen here and wheeled with here are using mostly Chevy and Ford drivetrains. It seems the number 1 upgrade for a Jeep is Chevy parts[​IMG][​IMG]. I'm even considering an LT-1 swap for the Cherokee.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

9. I'm also a Blazer/Jeep owner,they both have there strong points.On the trails I ride the jeep is a little eazier to get around in the tight stuff and on hill climbs you can see the break over alot sooner.But these are the only advantages I see the jeep has over the blazer.But the blazer has more advantages in its favor for me.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

10. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

OK.... while we are confessing, we just purchased a 1997 ford expedition for the wife to drive.....spose folks have problems with them fords too....but...the wife enjoys it, and I enjoy my K5....

rezalB

oh, I don't think knows what the dial selector on the dash
    with 4x4 means... he he he...but I DO....

Built for a purpose.

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

All three of my CJs have AMC 401 engines in them...no Chevs here. Also, the trannys are Ford T-18s for two of them, and the original Chrysler 999 auto in the other. Rear ends are: two narrowed Ford Dana 60s, and one original Dana 44. Front ends are two Jeep Wagoneer narrowed Dana 44s, and one original Dana 30. Hmmm, still can't find any GM parts...I'll keep thinking though...

ken

12. tRustyK5

C'mon Ken, we know you don't have any Chev parts on your Jeeps because you keep all the good parts for the vehicles that deserve them![​IMG] j/k!

Rene

[​IMG]

13. greybeard

greybeard Registered Member

In my garage you'll find a Cherokee and a CJ (304V8) parked next to the K5. They all get along fine [​IMG]