Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

blazer/jimmy doors-truck doors

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daviddear, May 29, 2002.

1. daviddear

daviddear Registered Member

Has anyone cut down some truck doors to fit a 72 blazer/jimmy. I'm trying to find some rustfree doors to no avail. It looks like you can remove the surround around the window up to the vent window but I hate to wax a set of truck doors and see they still won't fit . Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

2. I have been told there is no size difference other than the window frame. I almost think I remember hearing there was some extra bracing to make up for not having the window frame, but I might be wrong on that.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have been told that it is fairly easy to cut the spot welds for the window frames and swap what ever frame on you want. I had a 70 burb and looked it over very carefully and it didn't look like a big deal. Burbs are sort of in the same boat. Where a truck frame curves on the rear of the window a burb is squared off. The spot welds are pretty easy to get at.
    I haven't really taken a close look at a Blazer door so I'm not sure it it would be easier to cut the frame or swap it.

4. WD Steeves

WD Steeves Registered Member

I cut truck doors to use on my K5,that is what you do.I can give you some measurements if you like.It is very straight forward.All you need is a hacksaw and use new blades.You cut three times and the cuts are easy.Regards

5. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I believe that the '72 doors where the only ones with extra bracing, but I think the truck doors had it too. It is under the wind wing to prevent the doors from separating there (as they are in my '69).

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to move the latch reinforcements from the Blazer door to the truck door. This is *vital* if you ever take the top off of your Blazer. I saw a '69 that had its doors replaced with truck doors and the latch area was torn to shreds by body flex. He didn't move the reinforcement plates to the truck doors.

7. weldor

weldor Registered Member

What year truck doors will fit a '69 Blazer? If I understand correctly, when changing the doors all that is needed is to cut the window frame and move the reinforcement plates to the new doors, right? Any other info about interchanging doors?

How about a tailgate? Will a truck gate interchange or can it be modified?

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yes a truck gate will go on. But the blazer gate has a screw on rail along the top so the gate couldn't be lowered with the window locked down.

9. Steve_Chin

Any year truck doors other than '72 will be a "show-like" swap. '72 doors will fit, but will not look "right."

10. weldor

weldor Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "any" truck door will fit a '69 Blazer. Are you saying that a '69-70-71 will work or will any other year(within reason) also work. Please take into consideration that I am not as familiar with Blazers as most of you. I've only just acquired mine and it sits idle in the yard till I can collect repair parts. Answers with as much information as possible are real nice. Thanks for what you've already given.

11. BluThndr71JMMY

BluThndr71JMMY 1/2 ton status

The '67-'72 Chevy Truck Factory Assembly Manual has the production line drawings on how to cut down a '67-'71 pickup cab door into a K/5 door.Angles and dimensions in 1000ths of an inch are listed. Unfortunately all the part numbers are deleted and there is no instructional text, but it gives you an idea how the heavy line did this operation.

12. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

I don't know what year he used, but my 69 is over at GM Truck Center in Burbank. My door was wasted, and without batting an eyelash Hennrick took a truck door, cut and welded it and said it fits right in. This was he suggestion, not mine - so he must do it all the time. Good Luck

13. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

What part doesn't look right on the 72 door?

14. Steve_Chin

The door panels are different on a '72, and the '72 door has a pinch bolt under the wing window to reduce vibration. If you want car show-correct looks, a '72 truck door will not look right. It will fit just fine if cut, though.

15. JUNKYARDJOHN

JUNKYARDJOHN Registered Member

I CUT DOWN A PAIR OF TRUCK DOORS TO FIT MY 71 K5. THEY'VE BEEN ON THERE 6 OR 7 YEARS, & I DRIVE IT EVERYDAY. IT'S EASY. JUST USE YOUR OLD DOORS AS A TEMPLATE TO SHOW YOU WHERE & HOW MUCH TO CUT. AS FAR AS 72 DOORS, ONE OF THE DOORS I USED, HAPPENED TO BE A 72. I JUST TACK WELDED THE SCREW IN PLACE,(THE ONE UNDER THE WING VENT)& WELDED A CAP OVER THE HOLE, FILLED & SANDED. FOR THE DOOR PANELS, I USED 71s. I JUST DRILLED OUT THE HOLES & PUT NUT-CERTS IN PLACE. CAKE JOB, & NO-ONE CAN TELL THE DIFFERANCE. GOOD TRUCK DOORS ARE A WHOLE LOT EASIER TO FIND. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT, I KNOW WHERE A SET OF JIMMY DOORS & A TAILGATE ARE, BUT THERE PRETTY PRICEY.