Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Blazer/Jimmy roofs-1st gen

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 70gmcjimmy, Mar 11, 2006.

1. 70gmcjimmy

70gmcjimmy Registered Member

Hello GM truck guys,
    First post here and I am interested to know if there is a prior thread, link or advice on refurbishing the roofs on the 1st gen. Blazer or Jimmys. My project is a 1970 GMC Jimmy Custom that isnt going to be a complete restoration, or an xtreme rock crawler. She's gonna see some trail ridin' but also Interstate hiways. The roof isn't cracked- matter of fact it has never been removed since GM built 'er in '70. Been out in the sun all them years tho, and the top is showin the effects of the ages, but the sides of the top aint too bad.
    Also, I have been able to locate darn near all the parts I need except for the plastic caps above the wing windows and the firewall clutch plug since this one is an auto trans.

Any help would be greatly appreciated---- Thanks--DAC

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome to CK5! :thumb:

I heard a rumor that someone had started making those vent window plugs as a repro....(though they are expensive) You might want to check the usual suspects (LMC, Chevy Duty, GMC Pauls, etc). I'm almost positive they are available if you're willing to pay.

As for the top, since it's fiberglass most people entrust them to boat specialty shops (or Corvette shops!) for repair/restoration. I've got a couple of single-wall tops that will need restoration eventually, but I haven't done much research on WHERE yet because I'm still a long way from that part of my project...

:usaflag:

3. 70gmcjimmy

70gmcjimmy Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, Greg72
    Chevy Duty has rubber replacement caps for the left door, but no listing for right. I did order a lower rear Q patch panel from them. There again they only list a left one. Pauls has a good selection of stuff, too but it seems that LMC has the most complete inventory of parts, so I do order a lot of stuff from them.
    I have a hobby where I do some resin casting, so I am toying with repairing the caps that came off that truck, and casting a pair, but that will involve considerable hours. Dont think the repaired originals will hold up. If they aint available, gotta do sumthin tho!
    I will figure out sumthin on that roof- maybe a spatter texture with unthinned
    primer, then the paint, as the sun damage is where only on the top. Im thinkin maybe flaming the fibers that are stickin out with a propane torch may work. Just don't know till ya xperiment I guess.

Thanks for showing interest---DAC